Line lock - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Line lock

Anyone know of a line lock that can be used as an emergency brake? I would like to find one that does not need constant voltage to keep it locked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 06:45 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Line lock

Yes they are made. I think J.C. Whitney has them. They are a lever type that you can mount on the dash but they have to be plumbed. They work the same in that you set the brakes with the normal foot pedal then flip the lever to keep them on whatever axle you have them set up for.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

The JC Whitney one is a manual switch. I would prefer to find an electronic one. Anyone know of an electronic one that will work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 10:23 AM

I don't understand. In your opening post you said you didn't want an electronic one. Aside from that a line lock should only be used as a temperary parking brake. not as an emergency brake and certianly not while winching. Not Safe.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I don't think my first post said I did not want an electronic one. You may want to read it again. I said I don't want one that needs constant voltage to keep it closed. I am looking for one that can be activated by a remote switch to lock and unlock it and when locked does not draw from the battery.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 10:55 AM

Okay. I don't know of any that work like that.
Good Luck

DSD
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 11:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have been looking into line locks for some time now (intend on putting them in Thor for a 3rd-foot).

However, all the electronic manufacturers say they are not safe for > 20-30sec. The solinoid will overheat and fail. They would be great as brakes, but alas, no one makes electronic ones. The only solution would be to convert a manual to electronic with a servo or something, though I wouldn't entirely trust that either.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 11:32 AM

"However, all the electronic manufacturers say they are not safe for > 20-30sec. "

Did you mean 20-30 min. 20-30 sec seems unreasonably short.

I remember, years ago, in the service, my M62 Wrecker had an electronic line lock that I used to leave on for an hour or more routinely. Never did hurt it.

DSD
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 11:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

They said seconds. Maybe Tractor equipment is different, didn't look into those.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 01:35 PM
Journeyman

I'm using an electric actuated brake lock made by Mico back in the mid 80's. Their web site doesn't show it so I imagine it isn't made any more. This unit used a pressure switch similar to the old time brake light switches. You would flip a toggle switch applying power to the pressure switch, press on the brake pedal, the resulting pressure would actuate the switch sending power to a solenoid actuated valve in series with the brake line trapping the fluid and applying the brakes. Releasing the brake pedal would remove power from the circuit but leave the brakes applied. To release the brakes, flip the power switch to off, press hard on the brake pedal and the pressure in the system would equalize, releasing the brakes. I realize this is a piss-poor explaination as I'm going by memory. I have the instructions at home somewhere but as mentioned earlier, I don't think it is made any more. I'll try and find the info tonight and re-post.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode