Easiest engine swap ideas for yj's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Easiest engine swap ideas for yj\'s

Which is the easiest and/or most common? The old 89 2.5 has no power escepially now with new 33" boggers and it has the stock axles with 4:10's. I have a complete 440 out of an old 33' long camper with the auto tranny still attached, it would be great to get that in there but its probaly impossible. I also have a complete 318 with the auto tranny, is that an easy swap? How do you get the transfercase to work or is it just easier to get an engine out of a 4x4 truck?
I'm not planning it yet since it still works good but it needs work, manifold leak, slave cylinder leaking and no power but its a 4 cylinder I know LOL...
I see a lot of 350's going in jeeps, How much is the parts to swap it out? Thanks for any ideas...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 10:06 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Easiest engine swap ideas for yj\'s

Actually, you're in a good spot right now. Think the whole thing through! So many people put in a bigger motor. Then the tranny dies and they put in a stronger tranny. Then they try to improve the transfer case with 1/2 ton chains and slip yoke eliminators, then they improve the axles, always looking for something that will work with what they've done already.

You may want to think of a total drive train swap. The axles are already at their limits with 33s, and if the motor and tranny are worn out, it may be a great time to gut the whole drivetrain.

The 5.0 liter is a nice swap, SBC, 4.0 liter jeep, maybe some nice 44s front and rear, or go up to 3/4 ton pickup running gear.

Lots of options.
Good luck
Pete
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 10:48 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yeah... I agree with PETE. I've got no REAL information on the YJ swap, but with my CJ I did just as he's stated. Engine first, trans, axles..... Now that I'm done, I should have just pulled everything and started from scratch. That's all there is to it. Would have much easier, in the long run.....

....... I really wasn't equipped to do it all at once.. but it would have been GREAT!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 01:02 PM
Veteran

Don't have a YJ anymore, and I lucked out getting my 5 in such good shape with such low mileage. For the time being I've done the TR/MSD, and I'm in the process of a TBI conversion with a header. After I'm done with that I plan on running the ol' 258 until she dies then doing the 302 HO swap. I had a friend in Cali that had the 302 in his 89 YJ that was originally a 4 banger and that Jeep was awesome. If you are going to swap engines go ahead and do the rest of the driveline, less headache later.

-web
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 05:29 PM

Ok, here's one...I just rebuilt my T-18(CJ T-18) and Dana 20 that are attached to my 258 which runs like a champ and has plenty of power, so I have the drivetrain to accept the ponies...I just want a V-8, plain and simple. What is my best bet, a ford 5.0 or a 350...you make the call. I can get a fuel injected 5.0 out of a Lincoln, with harness, computer and all for $250.00 so what is the catch? This is my question to the board...what are the pros/cons and what headaches are in my future?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 06:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

mob... I could get a 360 in that thing running in less than a day.. I'll bet you a 30 pack...too bad you'd need the money for the $250 flywheel you'd have to buy...lets look for a 401... seems too obvious.... I bet hagans will sell me a 360 for $300 that runs good.. then we'll sell the 258 to pay for the flywheel.... if you are really nice to me I might know where a 360 flywheel is in the boneyard...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Whats the best type of donor vehicle? I would like to just drop in a fully complete motor, tranny and transfercase with only needing the drive shafts to finish it. The computer stuff I could do away with, to damn confusing, the plain old school stuff is great, no stupid sensors to go bad! I personally would like to keep it mopar but chevy is ok too. Maybe a swap from a ramcharger complete with a 318 or 360 would be great and find a set of dana 44's or just kill the 30/35 combo :-).
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 10:00 PM

Yep nothing like those annoying stupid sensors, pumping a perfect mixture of fuel and air to each cylinder when your nearly vertical on a long climb. I am always very impressed with those simple carbuerators coughing, gasping and backfiring while the rig hangs powerless on the side of steep hill.

Oh wait, lemme guess, you now how to tune a carb to do it just as well as FI,.....That ranks right up there with the checks in the mail nowadays.

For the life of me, I dont know why someone would waist the time and money to do a performance offroad engine swap, to a carbbed engine. Being able to run on any angle smoothly and powerfully, is the most important aspect of any performance Jeep engine.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 05:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How about pulling the stock 2.5 and ax-5 and replacing with a 4.0 and ax-15 tranny? any major modifications??
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 06:36 PM

we did the 2.5 to 4.0 swap on a buddys wrangler. we were lucky and had a wrecked wrangler for a donor vehicle. basically we swapped radiator, shroud, engine, motor mounts, wiring harness ( under hood only ), computer, exhaust, fuel pump, fuel lines, transfer case, drive shafts,..... think that was it.. map sensor.... possibly another item or two. not too bad if you have a complete vehicle to pirate from, but it would nickel and dime you if you didnt. we did everything over the course of two weekends and a couple of late nights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode