OT Investment Idea - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

OT Investment Idea

If you had bought $1,000.00 worth of Nortel stock one year ago, it would
now be worth $49.00.

With Enron, you would have $16.50 of the original $1,000.00.

With Worldcom, you would have less than $5.00 left.

If you had bought $1,000.00 worth of Budweiser (the beer, not the stock)
one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the cans for the 10 cent
deposit, you would have $214.00.

Based on the above, my current investment advice is to drink heavily and
recycle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 08:45 PM

Re: OT Investment Idea

I have actually been thinking that since the market has taken a dump, I could buy some cheap stock and have it grow quickly, maybe.

Im doung some looking tonight, anyone got any hot trades?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 08:52 PM

Steve,
It sounds like you have hit on some very sound investment advice,....your taste in beer is suspect, but the financial advice seems very sound. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 09:14 PM

laugh at me if you will, but this joke has become a pretty good investment strategy.

invest in hearing aid companies

why?....what kind of music must kids listen to today, how loud and how much power is driving that music? once you lose your low frequency hearing, you've lost it all. losing the higher freqs is acceptable, you just become tone deaf.....lose the low, lose it ALL.

with all the silly morons with over loud stereos, it isnt such a silly joke, is it?....just a good sound investment (no pun intended, but it could)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:00 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:41 PM
Yukonart

LOL I can relate. . . .

Used to bump (not roll) down the street several years back. System wasn't overly powerful, but it had some kick. After just a few minutes of turning the volume up, oh yeah. . . . time to turn it down. I was about 25 at the time, still had a hard time handling it. NOW. . . put in a nice sub (this is just for fun, mind you) and I mean really NICE, with some clean power. . . . in a car you're not too terribly worried about rattling apart, and install an inline variable crossover (maybe even an AudioControl Epicenter, if they're still making them) and you're hitting some sub-sonic frequencies most people are not even cabable of hearing. . . but OH, do you feel it! LOL Anything around 25-30 Hz or lower is pure fun, in my book.

Something I've always wondered, though. . . even with high SPL's (sound pressure levels) at frequencies inaudible to humans, is it still damaging to the human ear? More to just satisfy my curiosity than anything else. I'm putting a system in my car next month, and it's more for clarity and sound quality than anything else, but the sub will have the CAPABILITY of really pounding the daylights out of you.

Investment idea. . . . Anti-depressants. After the market finishes crashing, all those who had tons of money invested will need them!

I'm not nearly as think as you confused I am!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 06:59 PM
Official Curmudgeon

So, I bought 2500 shares of Columbus McKinnon Corp. (CMCO) on 4/27/01 for $7/share ($17,500). I sold it 54 weeks later for $30,700. Now my question is if I, an engineer, can make 75% in a down market, why do the experts running my mutual funds and 401k loose me so much money?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 09:08 PM
Yukonart

Got one word for ya. . . . COMMISSION. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 09:18 PM
Addict

hey taz, its called greed. i share the same philsophy as you do whe it comes to trading. buy it, make $$, get the hell out, keep the change. guess the pros have a big ego or money lust.

as far as the hearing aid investment: its a great idea for a few reasons.
A) the increasing # of elderly people in the country will need em, so the markets VERY stable.
B) the industry is dominated by a few makers that have been around for long time.

the only downside i see would be the investment entry cost.

as for being tone deaf, hearing aids aint gonna help you, so u are screwed. how do i know? i wear one
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 07:38 AM
Pooh-Bah

Don't get me started on stereos. I worked for a shop in the early to mid '90's and was the 1st Car, not mini truck or van to break the 155db range at a CMAA show.(8 pro dvc 15" Lanzar subs, 8000 watts) When all was said and done, it would hit 159.6db measured at the center of the dash and over 166 db measured at the enclosure. This was all in a '90 Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback. But, we did it safely. Any readings over 140db were void if you were in the car when it was taken. Everything was outside control. And it wsn't just a bass car. I have more sound quality trophies than SPL. It was nice to have both, until the shop showroom got broken into and the car was stripped. I took the insurance $ and paid off some of the money I had poured into it and moved on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode