The New Engine is Alive - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

The New Engine is Alive

and puking oil. This is the rebuilt 360 that I've sdwapped into my CJ-7. I can't tell if the oil was coming from the rear main seal or the rear of the oil pan or even the back of the intake. It started to get dark and it was raining so I couldn't check things to track it down. The valve train is a little noisy. I'm going to go back and check the that out later. I also may have a leak from the front gasket between the block and intake. The antique Edelbrock 4 barrel appears to be working fine. This motor seems to have some torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 08:42 PM

Re: The New Engine is Alive

are you sure the gallery plugs in teh rear of hte block are installed?

Ive heard of them being left out before.

its a bitchh to check now though.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 09:46 PM
Mud in my Veins

Aw, come on man! First you get us racking the collective brains trying to help figure out the problem(s) and then you post that it's all well (except for oil leak) WITHOUT an explanation. What's up with that???

Sounds like it must have been something simple....come on, don't leave us hangin'. Spill your guts![img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

I's sorry Caver Dave. There is a post that in my earlier thread that said the new dip stick was hitting the crank shaft counter weight. I visually inspected all of the connecting to look for a spun bearing. I did not remove the caps, just eyed them. I raised the oil pan last night and it ran without the noise.
OzarkJeep,
I'm extremely confident that those oil galley plugs are in the rear of the block. After the block came back from the machine shop, I washed it twice and cleaned all of the bores. I then mounted it in my engine stand. The next step was to take it off the stand so I could put the plugs in rear of the block. I couldn't reach them with the engine on the stand.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

WoHoo- It\'s still alive!

I took it for a little run today. I put about 10 miles on the engine. When I started it today there was no oil dripping. I ran 2 blocks up to a friends house. It still wasn't dripping so I took it on a long run. When I came back, it was dripping oil from all over the bottom of the bell housing. The engine ran @ 190 on the road. It popped up @ 205/210 when idling. It's running the 7 bladed fan and the viscous clutch fan. I think that's what it's called. The blades will free wheel when the engine is shut down. It did not appear to lose any coolant during the trip.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 10:16 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: WoHoo- It\'s still alive!

Groovy man! I happy you got it running OK. Any idea where your loosing oil at?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2002, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Re: WoHoo- It\'s still alive!

I think the oil is coming from the rear of the engine. I suspect the valve covers or the oil pan. I had the valve covers off so many times because of the piston problem that the rubber gasket probably wore out. I'm going to herc the interior tonight. Between coats drying, I might wipe down the engine. Then try to trace the leak. I hope to heck it's not the oil pan (3rd gasket) or the rear main. It pretty easy to take the oil pan off. I'm just tired of having to work on stuff over my head while lying on the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode