Torn in Two Directions... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 05:54 PM
JeepJunkie78CJ

Torn in Two Directions...

I'n Torn Between a 2" Body Lift, or a 2" Shackle Lift...

I have a 4" Suspension Lift on my 78 CJ-7. I am Wanting a litle more lift out of my ride, due to the water I'm constantly crossing.

If I go with the Shackle Lift, with my other modifications, can anyone tell me if I will have to go with longer driveshafts? I'm assuming that they are stock length.

Any help appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 06:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Torn in Two Directions...

A 2in shackle lift. NO WAY. It probably isnt a 2in lift, just two inches longer. Which makes it a 1in lift. Dont forget a longer shackle throws off your caster and makes for a really bad whitle knuckle driving ride.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 06:25 PM
JeepJunkie78CJ

Was looking in the Latest Rosser Jeep catalog. They Boast 2in. Probably is only an inch after installation. I'll verify it before I order. Any comments on the drive shaft length?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 06:38 PM

i went with beefier shackles with my 4" lift and 1"body lift. and i had to redo my driveshafts as well as change the caster on the axles....in retrospect, i think i would have gone with a 2" b-lift and some fender trimming......
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 07:37 PM

Everybody but me hates longer shackles. I have the Con-Ferr Extreme 1 3/8" lift shackles on my CJ, and I love them. I have NEVER had a problem with steering either, but that's probably attributed to the fact that I cut, turned, and rewelded the knuckles to counteract the Scout 44's 0* factory setting. I also have an AGR box and pump, solid 1 1/8" tie rod and drag ling with larger-than-stock tie rod ends, a steering box brace and a stock, sloppy factory steering shaft. I also removed the sway bar, and the thing drives mint.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 07:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Everybody but me hates longer shackles. I have the Con-Ferr Extreme 1 3/8" lift shackles on my CJ, and I love them. I have NEVER had a problem with steering either, but that's probably attributed to the fact that I cut, turned, and rewelded the knuckles to counteract the Scout 44's 0* factory setting. I also have an AGR box and pump, solid 1 1/8" tie rod and drag ling with larger-than-stock tie rod ends, a steering box brace and a stock, sloppy factory steering shaft. I also removed the sway bar, and the thing drives mint.

<hr></blockquote>

Well i think you just figured out why you like them. I like mine too with 7 degrees of caster built into my waggy 44.

My question to you is would you have liked them with a stock rear and have no caster at all? I think that question is what applies here. Not something that is built to handle the longer shackles.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 07:46 PM

I had actually run them with the stock M20/D30 setup, no AGR and stock linkage. I honestly never had a problem. When I swapped in the Scout 44, I realized that 0* caster is bad even without long shackles, so I figured that if I set the caster with the long shackles in place everything would balance itself out.

I would think though, that the steering box brace is what helped a lot in that setup, and would recommend it to anyone who wants to put longer shackles on.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 08:10 PM

I would not do either one of them.
It is not worth raising your center of gravity by 2" just because you are crossing some deep water.
I would waterproof everything really well, and keep your C of G as low as possible.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2002, 08:58 PM

I'm with H8 on this one. Waterproof everything and dive in.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode