YJ - AutoTranny ID and What type of ATF? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

YJ - AutoTranny ID and What type of ATF?

Got a friend with an 88 YJ w/285 and auto tranny, which I assume is a TF-999. Am I correct here?

What type of fluid goes in it? Should we be using Dexron or ATF+ ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 08:38 PM

Re: YJ - AutoTranny ID and What type of ATF?

maybe a 904 or 999, or 998, or whatever, basically a small cased Torqueflight.

use dexronII or newer

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 08:50 PM
Way Outta Control

It's a TF999, the transmission number is located on the machined edge of the transmission just under the shifting shaft and above the oil pan. Take the stamped number to a Jeep parts dept. and they should be able to tell you exactly what the transmission is.

In mine, I use Dextron III...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 08:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

It should say it on the dip stick. If it's got a lock up converter it probably requires 7176 ..which is just Dex III with a friction modifier to allegedly keep the clutch quiet. That's what my 92 Caravan has stamped on the stick. In some of the more sophisticated OD trannies NOT using it causes "micrograbs" which cause premature failure (is that an oxymoron or a contraction in the case of a DC OD automatic)

If you don't have a lock up converter ..it won't know the difference.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 09:41 PM
Way Outta Control

Acutually the 7176 was designed to modify slippage and save the A606 transmsission. The A604, a 3 spd AOD (somtimes identified as a 4 spd Auto) is what's likely in your 92 Caravan. I've put over 200,000 mile on that transmission in my two Caravans. In each vehicle is Dextron III. To date it has caused no problems. The failures I've had with the Caravan transmissions are sensors and the spider gears flying apart and gernading the housing due to a wrist pin failures.

For those who'd like to know more about this issue with the Dodge Transmissions and Dextron/7176 ATF... go <a target="_blank" href=http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html>HERE</a>.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 05:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]You must be referring to the "Grand" Caravan LEVE. My auto is basically an Omni trans with a lock up. My rhetoric about the clutch was just from the owners manual and one rebuilder (in regards to my trans). I never encoulntered such chatter ...my converter clutch just decided to disintegrate and plug up the rest of the trans. As far as the micro grab stuff (which could be reworded "un" modified slippage)...that I grabbed off of a forum that was dedicated to the DC auto line up ....sort of like a 3.0 Mitsubishi formum ..except for POS overly sophisticated weak kneed OD trannies.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Leve, are you saying it's safe to use Dexron even if it has a lockup convertor? I don't know if it does or not. Is there an easy way to tell?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 01:57 PM
Way Outta Control

So, IMHO (Disclamer: FWTW [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) I'd not have a problem using Dextron III in these transmissions. You know me, I'm cheap as the day is long. Which is one fo the reasons I do as much of my own work as possible. Last year I was up a WalMart buying it in the gallon jugs... and those three transmissions are still chugging along quite nicely.

The A604 and A606 transmissions are 3spd automatics with overdrive. It's the overdive components and 1st/reverse piston clutch seals that most often fail. The Torque Conveter often fails because the radiator ATF cooler saves the debris and then sends it to the Torque Converer when it breaks out. I flush my cooler once a year. Heat is another problem... and Caravan radiators that are leaking will destroy a transmission very quickly... low/no coolant means little heat transfer.

The 3spd automatics, non overdirve units also have torque converters in them. This is one of the reasons the Caravans gets such good gas mileage. I'd almost bet (though I don't know for sure) that the pistion clutch seals in the 3spds and the 3spd AOD are the same... One of the problems with the seals were quality control. Chrysler addressed this with update kit after update kit until the fixes were about 2 pages long. Today you will find that manuals are sold to reflect the basic transmission, and a second one reflecting the update kit. The seals have been updated by all manufactures and the failure rate is much lower.

Also, because of the failure rate of the transmissions, and owners being "gun shy" aobut them, the transmission rebuilders have been having a field day. Bring in a Dodge/Chrysler product with these transmissions... and lo and behold they all need a complete rebuild.

It's not Magic! It's just highway robbery.

Ofen this is not true. Failure on a dodge transmission throws codes that are read by OBDII compliant scanners. These codes will tell if the system problem is internal or external.

These transmissions are the first electronically controlled transmisisons and not mechanically controlled like the previous generations of transmisisons. The computer will tell the transmission when to up and down shift by opening and closing an electronic solenoid pack on the side of the transmission. This pack opens and closes hydraulic passeges which in turn enable and disable clutch packs via the pack cylinder piston.

That's part of the rub... If the computer senses a problem it thows the transmission into "Limp home" mode.. or 2nd gear. I know it happened to me while I was accelerating at 70mph up a hill. I thought the trannie had destroyed itself. I shifed into netural and back to OD. It worked fine... but two months later I was repalcing the speed sensors. These sensors are critical. Inside the transmisison, on each clutch is a ring gear with cut-outs. As a tooth goes by the sensor, the sensor sends a pulse to the computer. The computer counts the pulses per revoulition and knows the speed the clutches are traveling. Then upshift and downshifts accordingly. If the count is off the trnasmission can't shift correctly. If the count is lost.. the limp home mode is enabled. In my case the Caravan suddenly slammed into 2nd gear from OD at 70mph. You can imagine I was concerened.

How do you tell if you've got a bad sensor? Me, I really don't care... I know the cltuch packs are moving and the oil is free of debirs so that only leaves the possiblility of a sensor or the wiring. I keep the terminals tight, clean and packed with dialectric grease. That rules out a wiring progblem. There are two clutches, so there are two sensors. NAPA charges $18 for each sensor. That's pretty cheap! So, when I replace one sensor I repalce both of them as a set. It gives me peace of mind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode