CJ Steering box - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 10:44 PM
Sully

CJ Steering box

My '84 Laredo with stock height and 31" tires has worn out one steering box and I'm worried about the used one I have on now. I get this clunk noise when I turn the wheel from one side to the other - I thought it was just the ball joints on the pitman or steering arm knocking, but I'm afraid I don't have the bearing preload set right in the boxes and that's why I'm wearing them out. Is this a normal noise? I've had the Jeep 5 years and it's done it as long as I can remember but for what those boxes cost and the difficulty changing them, I don't want to find out too late. Thanks in advance.
Sully

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ Steering box

Sully, get someone to turn the steering wheel while you look at all the components, the clunk noise might be your springs sliding on the spring bolts, also jack the front wheels off the ground onto jack stands and manualy move each tire looking for any loose parts, Ball joint, Tie rod ends, Wheel bearings, etc..... You'll be supprised at what you might find.
Good Luke
wsm

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-1999, 08:15 PM
Sully

That's the thing... I've checked the knuckles, ball joints and the linkage and it seems fine. I find that my steering wheel alignment seems to wander when I am rough on it (going up curbs at an angle, logs, etc.) but this is probably just the tie rod ends getting pushed over. Does anybody have a suggestion on checking the bearing preload for the steering box or is it better to not mess with it? Thanks.
Sully

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 10:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

From what i have read you need to take the box out and put it in a vise and turn the input shaft with an inch pound torque wrench while adjusting the pre load on the worm gear. But if you have a rebuilder in the area he would probley check it out and set it if needed for almost nothing as compared to the cost of a new box. I had a friend just tighten up the adjuster on his truck said he new what he was doing and within a week the brass worm gear was shot and we replaced the box the next weekend and the guy at our rebuilding shop said people adjusting there own preload make him a lot of money. just my $.02 good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode