Detroit Locker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 12:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Detroit Locker

I just purchased a Detroit Locker for the rear of my 85 CJ-7 (along with a LockRite for the front and a TeraLo t-case kit). What
I'm looking for is input concerning the streetability of the Detroit and what to expect from it in a vehicle that sees a lot of road time
along with quite a bit of off road. There was a post yesterday concerning the wear and tear on a street driven locker, but I would
appreciate any more input. I'm probably willing to live with any problems, I've driven them on the street, so I'm familiar with their behavior but not owned a vehicle that is driven day to day and is equipped with one. Point is I'm tired of the slip of the limited slips.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 03:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Detroit Locker

If you are not a lead foot, you will hardly notice it. Once in a while you will get a pop, normally when you don't realize you
are spinning a tire and all the sudden the locker locks in. You get a big of torque steer when you get on or off the gas,
but you get used to it. The only other negative is the tire wear. It isn't a big deal to get used to the performance characteristics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Terry L. Howe http://www.off-road.com/~txh3202
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 03:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brad, I have an 86 CJ7 that is my daily driver. It has a Detroit in the rear Dana44 and a Lockright in the front. At first I noticed the rear
locker, but after a few months I got used to it and pretty much don't notice it anymore. I do off-road it a lot and wouldn't think of going
without lockers.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 09:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You become used to it pretty quickly. The main thing is to use the throttle gently. Don't just take your foot off the throttle, instead let it up more slowly. Same thing when you press down on it. Do it slowly. Lastly when truning, particularly 90 degree or more turns, adjust your speed so that you do not move the throttle until you straighten up again. If you find that you need to slow down more quickly in a turn, step on the clutch. If you need to speed up in a turn, DON'T. Doesn't take long to acquire the skill, and actually when you do, the driving style that is necessary to make the Detroit work properly is also the driving style that is the easiest on the equipment and gas mileage. It actually makes you a better driver.
In the past I have suggested to prospective Detroit owners to drive a similar veh with a Detroit, then, and more importantly, ride while the owner drives it and see the difference. When you first drive a Detroit, particularly on a swb vehicle, you will wonder - what kind of crazyness is this??, but then when the owner drives it, you will see - it ain't no big deal. Just takes some getting used to.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input guys, I knew I made the right choice spending the extra hundred bucks for the Detroit. Now for the fun part, pulling out the TrakLok and putting in the Locker!

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode