weekend project - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Addict

weekend project

I have to replace to flywheel, clutch and starter on my CJ next weekend. Is this a relativley easy project or should i have some backup? Ive never replaced a clutch or flywheel before, so it will be a learning experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 07:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: weekend project

There is really nothing technical about it, just a PITA to remove the t-case/trans by yourself. You are much better off with a buddy helping so you don't injure yourself. The stuff weighs a ton when you are laying on your back in the driveway!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 08:06 AM

Hell that stuff weighs a ton if you had a hoist to work under... Definately get a couple of buddies to help pull and install the trans. It will make it much easier to get the input shaft lined back up too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 08:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] There could not be a better way for you to "break into" Jeep mechanics than a clutch/tranny R&R. It's pretty basic, but yet it embodies many of the skills that you will need later on like supporting/removing the gearboxes; setting up the clutch; etc. etc. etc. You'll want to invest in a clutch "line up" tool....just a couple of bucks.... so you can avoid the struggle that it is to get the tranny input shaft to enter the clutch/flywheel combo.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] My crack moonguy[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] transmission team is ready to parachute into your area under the cover of darkness to help you in case there's a problem. These guys take everything with them, including an air-droppable air compressor.[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] No it's not for impact wrenches.....it's for keeping pressure on the beer kegs.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 08:59 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Just a side note.... if you buy a clutch and pressure plate SET, they usually come with a plastic alignment tool. It's not a top grade tool, but it'll get the job done.

And I agree with the others, it's the weight of the tranny that'll kill you. Get some help. Or at least a small child that can dial 911 for you. There really isn't much to the work. Just bolts, a wire or two.... and paying attention. You'll be fine.

Make sure you inspect the throw out bearing, and input shaft bushing. Those trannys aren't much fun, and you don't wanna be back in there in a month for something you can fix now.

Good luck!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Addict

appreciate teh response. looks like im makin calls and buyin beer!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 11:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] If you need to replace the clutch pilot bushing you can make a puller in the following manner: (1) Select a bolt which will fit into the bushing bore AFTER you have ground off three complete sides of the hex head. The bolt should look like a golf club or maybe a bird head with a beak when you finish. (2)Slide the bolt head into the bushing bore such that it will "hook" on the back edge of the bushing. (3) Whittle a small piece of wood such that it will slide in and "jam" the bolt over to one side and hold the "hook" engaged. (4)Slip a big socket over the bolt....use a socket that has enough inside clearance for the bushing to slide into as it is extracted. (5) Install a washer and nut. (6) Tighten nut to remove bushing. (7) Have a beer and pat yourself on the back saying: "Yep......I'm an ACE mechanic."[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Then go make some really dumb mistake.[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img][img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 11:26 AM
Way Outta Control

You can do the job alone with no problems...here’s the easiest way I manhandle a transmission and Dana300 transfer case. Read them over and you may have to modify the steps slightly for your year and transmisison.:

1. Remove the front and rear driveshafts from the transfer case.
2. Remove the transmission access panel and 4WD shifter.
3. Remove the shifting linkage.
4. Remove the kickdown linkage.
5. Take a break!
6. Remove the 4WD and reverse lighting wiring.
7. Remove the transfer case skid plate.

Support the back of the engine with a 1/4" cable looped around the frame...
This leaves the area under the engine free of jacks and jack stands.

I have a 2X6 (reinforced with angle Iron) cut to fit between the windshield frame and the roll bar.

10. Secure the 2X6 to the roll bar and it's notched to fit the windshield.
11. Secure a ratchet pulley to the 2X6.
12. Attach more of the 1/4" cable from the pulley to down to the transmission.

The TF999 has 4 stand mounting holes. I'm not sure what your transmisison has...I run the cable through the two on the front. If the transmission has no mounting holes, just loop it around the front of the transmission.

13. Take the slack out of the cable with the ratchet.
14. Remove the bellhousing cover.
15. Remove the starter cable, at the starter.
16. Remove the starter.
17. Remove the clutch linkage..
18. Remove the transmission to engine bolts.
19. Install two 9 to 12"" sections of 3/8" rod in the two upper right and left bolt holes.
20. Lower the jack four to six inches.
21. Separate the transmission from the engine. Use a pry bar if you have too...

The transmission should now be able to “slide” down the 3/8" rod.

22. Lower the front of the transmission with the ratchet and start moving it backwards off the rods.
23. When the transmission is moved back you can now remove the clutch and pressure plate assembly. If you need to remove the rods and lower the front of the transmission as necessary.
24. Lower the jack as far as possible.
25. Remove the jack, rest the transfer case on the ground.
26. Lower the ratchet, lowering the front of the transmission to the ground.
27. Remove the wire loop.

This procedure also works in reverse to raise the transmission back into place. It removes a lot of fatigue, and speeds up the process, and one can easily do the job alone knowint you're not going to get crushed by the transmission/trnsfer case assembly.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 12:40 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Here is my advice . If the only choice is by yourself I would get a couple quotes from a few tranny places for a re and re . My brand new throw out bearing went bad in my CJ and I needed to have the Jeep driveable for the weekend and everyone else was working and couldnt help me . So I phoned a reputable tranny shop here in town and they re and re`d the tranny for $ 175.00 and I had the throw out bearing , it was out of the shop in a couple hours . I`ve done this same job myself and its dangerous if your not careful . Tranny / Tcase assmeblies aren`t balanced and you can get hurt . If your not up on funds to do it I would wait till you get some help . Just my 2 cents .

Jeff
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 12:58 PM
Veteran

if you dont have a good tranny jack, put the jeep up a little bit and set up a good floor jack with a little jerry rigging (some homemade crossbars, maybe a piece of plywood secured to the jack and something to secure the tranny/t-case to it) before you drop it, once you do drop it try not to disturb the angles that it was at when you pulled it out. and someone who can dial 911 is always good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode