How to determine which axles/tranny/tc I have? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 11:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How to determine which axles/tranny/tc I have?

Ok, My cj5 has a Buick 225. The guy said something about T-90. Is that the tranny or transfercase? And, how can I determine what axels I have? I do believe that they are stock. Also, is a T-90 tranny or transfercase good?
Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 11:49 PM

Re: How to determine which axles/tranny/tc I have?

well......the t-case will be a dana 300. the t-90 is a transmission. depending on the year and what was done to it, it may be something else. this link is to off-road's tranny primer. http://www.off-road.com/jeep/2001/TechTrans.html

do yourself a favor, and get a jeep bible. those things have buttloads of info about all models of jeeps. the t-90 is a 4 spd, i think. not sure about jeep trannies, other than my 84 had a t-176 4 spd.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. All I forgot. It is a 3 speed tranny and a twin stick transfer case. So, is the Dana 300 tc any good? And, where can I get a Jeep Bible?
Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 12:08 AM

any bookstore 'should' have it. you may have to look around tho. if its a twinstick t-case, it may be a modified 300. 300's are supposed to be the best of the gear driven cases. you dont hear alot of dana 300 failures.

what year is the jeep?, the dana 300's have a hang on the right side, that is they droop on the right side of the tranny, they dont mount flat in respect to the ground. my bible says the dana 300's were used from 80 to 86. spicer 20's from 72-79.

the jeep 4x4 performance handbook has alot more info on the jeeps, and all the accessories that went into them. it should be in the bookstores too.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 12:18 AM

Buick 225/ T-90 3-speed transmission/ twin-stick Dana 18 transfer-case.
Dana 27 front axle, Dana 44 rear axle (19 spline shafts)

DanStew had the same setup in his M38A1

(The Dana 300 wasn't used until 1980, and it came behind the T-176 and TF-999. None of the engines in that era were the Buick 225)
Check out the Jeepster/Commando forum for more information on that engine, as a lot of those vehicles had it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 07:04 AM

Try this link, it should help some:

<a href="http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/cj-5.htm" target="_blank">http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/cj-5.htm</a></a>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 10:34 AM

i went reading thru my bible and performance books last night, AFTER my posts and yes, i will say i am weak on cj drivetrains. but thats ok.....i fessed up. thats why i have the books.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 12:14 PM

I've got some books on it too. I find Jeep 4x4: Performance Guid by Jim Allen to be the most useful
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 10:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys for all of the replies. (It kinda rhimes hehehe) anyway, my Cj5 is a 1961. The guy said that engine came out of an old jeepster. Are the Dana 18 tc's any good or should I find another transfercase?
Thanks,
Chris
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 10:50 AM

The Dana 18s are fine, and the twin-stick shifter is a modification often made to other transfer-cases. The Dana 18 has lower gearing than a Dana 20, and 4:1 kits are also available for an exorbant amount of money. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Both front and rear outputs on this 'case are offset to the passenger side, so swapping to another transfer-case also requires swapping to a centered rear axle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode