Removing bed liner - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Removing bed liner

More questions from the newbie. The previous owner of my CJ-5 had put in a bed liner (I think its a Herculiner). I love it in the back and on the floor, but he's got it on the dashboard too and I would rather it not be there. Is there anyway to remove it? I'm guessing no, but maybe there's a chance. I've seen some pictures of dashboards that look great compared to mine. Heck I don't even know what all the knobs do. Allegedly one is for the fan, but I don't think its working either. Its amazing how many things I keep finding that don't work compared to those that do. But its still a blast to drive so thats all that matters, until it gets dark and I can't see where I'm going or how fast I'm going since the lights are currently on strike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 01:16 AM

Re: Removing bed liner

I've found the best method to be paint stripper..the hardcore stuff and a razor scraper.
You will just ruin all the paint on your dash though and you'll have to repaint it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 11:01 AM
Old Hand

The last time I removed the stuff - I used a DA sander. Quick and easy. You will have to repaint anyway. I would take the dash out and remove any gauges to prevent damage.

Hank B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 08:58 PM
VirginiaJeeper

I overdid the Herculiner when I did my CJ-7. (I brought it over the doorjambs and top edge of the tub) When it came time to paint, I realized I wanted paint there instead and wondered how I was going to get it off.

I found out it came off a lot like latex paint. It seemed to bond more to itself than to the metal, and you could work up an edge and pull off decent sized pieces. A razor blade was my primary tool followed by a Scotchbrite and finally the DA. It was still a PITA to get all the little pieces, but definately do-able.

Good Luck
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 09:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

as I recall.. i spilled some brake fluid in my tub and it peeled the herculiner up... it sat there for a couple weeks though...but if you got some time and a plastic trash bag... it might work...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode