E-Brake Cable too short when lifted - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 04:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

E-Brake Cable too short when lifted

I have 3" lift spring and SOA that should be about 7" lift,
now my problem is the E-Brake cable attach to the brake backing plate does not reach. I've looking in the Junkyard can't find any or close to it. I don't want to spent $100+ for a set. Any suggestions out ther. Help...help...

92YJ D44 front and rear 4.56 35" Procom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 05:13 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Emergency Brake Cable ????

Well, that cable ain't nothing much more than steel cable. Try the following:

1. Buying some steel cable (1/4"...if I remember right... but you'd best measure it.) the length you need and add an extra foot.
3. Weld a nut onto each end of the cable at the place you need to complete the length. I've even seen lead sinkers used to form this piece.
4. Grind down the nut to round for insertion into the pedal assembly.

You're done..

The same thing can be done for the E-brake cables from the adjuster down to the wheels. Since these wires are exposed, with a little heat sink applied you can also use coated cable to keep down rust effects. It's a little trickier to attach but can be done...

Me, took the felxible line and removed it. Then I welded it to hard brake line material so that anything exposed out of the body was hard line. I added a zerk fitting to the hard brake line material and completed the run to the adjuster on the frame. Each end of the cable was covered with an RTV plug forced about 1" up into the line. Then I simply filled the line with wheel bearing grease . That little sucker ain't gonna freeze up.. and it's going to always operate smoothly.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 09:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: E-Brake Cable too short when lifted

I bought a set of universal cables from James Duff. They sell parts for Early Broncos. Here is a link.

http://www.jamesduff.com/eb/booster.html

The cables are halfway down. I bought 2-#3756 kits. The cables are high quality and easy to install.

I think you can get similar cables at NAPA. Just ask to see their brake parts book and look at the very front of the cable section.

Later,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode