ARGH....need help - slave cylinder - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 01:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ARGH....need help - slave cylinder

Alright first off I have a '95 Wrangler, 2.5L, ax-5 transmission. That should be all the vehicle info you need. Anyway my clutch was going out so starting Sunday I began working on it. I'm sure many of you have changed out a clutch, no biggie right? Well, last night I get it all back together and hop in to test the clutch feel. The clutch does not move...it is completely locked in place. So I hop back under and look at a few things and can't find anything wrong. I hop back in and the clutch now goes all the way in with absolutely no feel. I think oh crap, hop back under and see the slave cylinder dripping, so I just am thinking this can't be happening, so then I take the slave cylinder off and what do I find? Oh, yes that's right I find the whole internals of the slave cylinder missing. I guess it exploded out into the bell housing, putting a nice thick coat of hydralic fliud all over my brand spankin new clutch...I haven't fished out the interals of the slave cylinder though, but I read in my service manual that for the 94 and 95 Wranglers the slave cylinders are none servicable and must be replaced as a master cylinder/slave cylinder/connecting line assembly. Ok so now I pretty much have to take the whole thing back apart to clean up my clutch and to get the pieces out and if that didn't suck enough, I have to find a place to get the clutch hydralics assembly...my dad went to Napa this morning to try to get it but the item they had that that said was the right part only had one cylinder in it and not the assembly. Alright long story yes, I guess I mostly jsut had to vent a bit. But here's the question: What could have caused the slave cylinder to do that? Anyone had this happen before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 03:01 PM

Re: ARGH....need help - slave cylinder

i assuming you have the internal slave cylinder (goes around the tranny input shaft)
sounds to me like maybe it got over extended.(went out to far)....but the only way i can imagine this happening is if it's the wrong part (too short) or there is something wront with your pressure plate....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 03:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually it's a seperate slave cylinder and is on the driver's side of the bell housing...it pushes an arm out that has the throwout bearing in the middle of it and it pivots from the passenger side, so its not one of the concentric bearings. I agree it must've somehow overextended but I can't see how that could've happened. My pressure plate hased to be good I replaced that, the clutch plate, the pilot bearling and the throwout bearing...I didn't play with the slave cylinder I just removed it from the bellhousing and set it over to the side. I'm just really confused and frustrated...I just wanna drive my Jeep. The fact that I can't find the part anywhere is even more aggrevating...I can handle taking everything back apart, I already did it once, but if it wouldn't have exploded into it I could replace it in about 20 minutes...agh I needa get my mind off this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 06:59 AM

Well, just because they say that the whole thing has to be replaced, doesn't mean that the whole thing has to be replaced. It might just mean that it's a cheap part and they don't make a rebuild kit for it. There's a good chance that the slave cylinder can be reassembled and put back in service.

It exploded because something is wrong with the clutch assembly. It could be that you got the wrong pressure plate or the wrong throwout bearing, or else you didn't get something back together properly.

That happened on my '95 Volvo at around 220K miles. The release fork pivots on a small ball in the bellhousing, and the ball finally wore through the release fork.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode