New calipers - soft pedal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New calipers - soft pedal

79 CJ7. Replaced right side rotor and both calipers. I tried "burping" and did see air when the caliper was positioned with the bleeder tdc. Reinstalled and pedal seems firmer, but starting engine pedal goes almost to the floor.
1. Should the engine be running for a normal "one man" bleed job?
2. With the caliper resting on the rotor, how long should I gravity bleed (burp)?
3. Manual says to install outside tab washer, tighten nut to 50lbs, "then bend the washer lip over the nut." The washer I have has an inside tab (fits the groove). Is this a misprint or do I have the wrong outside washer (it appears to be correct from the diagrahm)

Thanks,
Barry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 07:12 AM

Re: New calipers - soft pedal

The washer sounds correct. The inside tab goes into the groove and keeps the washer from turning. Then the outside, bent over the nut, keeps the nut from turning.

The engine doesn't need to be running to bleed the breaks. You gravity bleed them until no more air comes out. I never bleed that way, but I would think that you could bleed a half-pint out before you got all the air. I would recommend getting a buddy and doing a regular 'pump-up and crack the valve' bleed.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 08:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Surprising the number of times people have installed calipers on the wrong sides....make sure the bleeders point upwards, or you'll bleed until the cows come home....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 09:28 AM

I had the same problem on my 79. I spent 3 days trying to get a firm pedal. The rotors and calipers were new. I had a new master cylinder and I put another new one on thinking the master cylinder was bad. Finally, a break expert at PM told me to take the calipers off and point the bleed screw straight up to remove pockets of air. When I turned the bleed screw up and opened it, I could see a lot of air bubbling out.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've taken the calipers off twice and pointed the bleeder screw straight up. I did see air the first time. I just did a gravity bleed (no one pumping the brake). Should I use a C-clamp and do a pump-up, then open the bleeder screw?

Also, the pedal is hard with the engine off. With the engine running, and therefore the power assist working, the pedal wants to go to the floor. Should I do the bleeding with the engine running?

Finally, the MC has two chambers, but I don't see an equalizer valve. I did a 4-wheel bleed, but that didn't help.

Thanks for all the help,
Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode