exhaust and muffler - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 08:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

exhaust and muffler

I need to replace my muffler and maybe exhaust on my '90 YJ 4.2L. I would like a low rumble sound. ANybody have any suggestions?

THanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 10:46 AM

Re: exhaust and muffler

find a shop that will do what you want to do. as for a muffler, go with a flowmaster. bulletproof and most excellant sound
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 11:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks. I had looked at the Flowmaster but wanted to get feedback from the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 12:54 PM

I yanked the catalytic converter and everything behind it and bolted up a cherry-bomb. It just sits on the skidplate and bangs around until enough mud forms around it to keep it in one place.

Nice rumble, great price, bad smell.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 01:10 PM

when i did my exhaust, i got rid of the goofy tork arm bracket that ties the cat into the tork arm. i replaced it with a spare bump stop extension bolted thru a piece of 2x2(for spacing) to support the pipe, its all bolted to the skid plate. i use a standard muffler clamp to hold the pipe to the 'cradle'. you could also use a hose clamp too.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 01:13 PM

I just had a flow master put on my 4.2L. I think its the 3 chamber muffler. the engine is completely stock except for the new muffler, the original cat is still on there.

I was pleasantly surprised that I could feel more power at lower RPMs. And my MPG went up, I used to get 150 miles a tank, now its 160.

Sound:
At idle it burbles a little. It can sound a little bit like a howl at higher RPMs ( 3k, for my 258 that is high RPMs [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ). And also has some audible sounds that can resemble a tractor when at sustained low RPM. It is quiet. And mellow. I'm very happy with the upgrade.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 04:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Likewise, I removed the entire exhaust and put only a "turbo" muffler on it (no converter). However, my girlfriend complained too much about the exhaust smell that was coming in the rear window when it was rolled up (and the door windows were open), so I went back and put a high-flow cat on it--now there is no smell or carbon monoxide. I don't know if this is anyone else's experience, and I know the old CJs didn't have converters, but I couldn't get away from the smell unless I had the top completely off, and then it would finally get swept away.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 07:12 PM
Old Hand

I have a flowmaster on my 94' YJ, and a stock Cat.

Not sure on the series but it is pretty loud, and my cat is a little clogged.. (was told by emissions test guy).

If you are going to get a fLowMaster make sure you get the ones with "Delta Flow" they supposedly make it less loud in the cab area, and force the sound OUT the back instead of an inside sound.....

My flowmaster sounds great accelerating, but left at a higher rpm (freeway etc) you can here it in the background 'humming away', slowing down by removing your foot from the accelerator creates the backpressure sound that 'girgles', and sounds awesome...

Overall I highly reccomend the flowmaster, and I will be getting the Carsound Hi-Flow Cat. soon.

I will let you know how the combo is once it is installed... make sure you don't get something to loud, and annoying for going off the road!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 10:26 PM
Old Hand

I put a "Thrash" turbo muffler on my 4.2L. It is slightly louder than stock, definately not as loud as something like a Flowmaster. Everyone has a different preference for sound volume.

The good thing about this muffler is that it is $20 from Advance auto parts
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 06:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the info. Any reason your Cat got clogged? Was it due to the flowmaster?
My engine and cat is all stock and it's time to replace the worn out muffler.

Looking forward to your info on the combo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode