Off Roading Forums banner

All-Wrecked 96 Cherokee (XJ) what interesting part

445 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  oldp 
#1 ·
I just found a wrecked 96 Cherokee (XJ I guess, the small one).
I am considering a 4.0 L swap for my CJ7. Would this be a good donor vehicule? (the EFI computer and harness is missing, the motor has 70 000 miles and is mated to a auto tranny(I have a T5 on my CJ))

Is the rear axle of any interest ?

Thanks for your help

#2 ·
the front axle may be interesting for someone...its a high pinion d-30 reverse rotation. it will bolt right into a tj and the gears are stronger.... but its not common to see someone aspiring to swap IN a d-30...

#4 ·
I can tell you the price engine alone is offered for sale : 450 $ BUT there is a BIG difference : I live in France ! Terefore everything automotive is WAY out of price !

For example I called the Jeep dealership the other day to get some standard U joint for my 83 CJ7 and I was quoted 81 $ !
Boys you guys are lucky !
But then I don't know if I am gonna get the engine though :
It has 70 000 miles on it so I guess It needs a rebuild, but I was quoted 1650 $ for a 94 with 30 000 miles on it.
What do you think ?

#5 ·
BTW I need to ask you this :
I read on the following writing about the 4.0 l swap that 95/96 Grand Cherokee have the fuel pressure regulator in the gas tank and that to perform the swap you need to get the pre 95 Fuel rail (with fuel pressure regulator there)
Is it the same on the XJ cherokee ?
How much cost a Fuel rail (aproximately) ?
4.0 l swap writing :
http://www.jeepincj7.rockcrawler.com/photo3.html

#8 ·
you are completely right. That's exactly what I do, I usually go to 4wd Hardware which I've used fo years now.
Even with Fedex air shipping (2 to 3 days), and 10% "european tax , and 20% "French tax" it is still much cheaper, much faster, AND service is ten times greater !
I wonder what those importer are doing !

#9 ·
From what I've read the regulator on a 96 XJ is incorporated into the pump and cant be seperated.97 and up is with the pump and the pump and regulator can be serviced individualy.
95 and earlier it is on the fuel rail.
I didn't reliese you were in France so I imagine the pricing would be a bit different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.