Rain on drying paint, will it hurt it? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Rain on drying paint, will it hurt it?

Had the jeep painted
They painted it yesterday afternoon.
Got it back today, its pretty much dry, but it seems if I layed anything on it that it would leave a mark.

One of the bodyshop guys said to leave it out in the sun and let it dry, which I did.
We had a light rain about an hour ago, and I didn't notice it til the jeep was already wet.
I drove it in the garage and wiped off most of the rain, it had a ton of beaded rain drops everywhere [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Well anyways, the spots that I didn't get too well seem to have what looks like water spots, but permenant water spots.

Its been a day and I'm wondering if the weight of the rain could actually have an effect, or could it just be buffed out or?
I tried to wipe the spots off with a paper towel, and it didn't affect anything.

The hood came out like crap(he said it was because I used a different kind of primer?
It looks like the paint tryed to lift in a few places.
He said he would redo it after everything had fully settled, so I will be back to the shop next week.

What I'm wondering is if I should ask him to lay another coat on the affected areas(pretty much fenders and hood) or if I can just buff it out?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 09:47 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Rain on drying paint, will it hurt it?

I dont think its a major concern , my son in law works at a body shop and they wash the cars the next day before the owner picks them up . This is just my opinion but it almost sounds like there wasnt enough hardner in thier paint . We painted my CJ in the front yard and it was pretty well dry as it was going to ever be by the end of the day . If its only water spots they should polish out , DONT do any polishing for a while , that paint needs some good time to cure properly .

Jeff
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 12:11 PM

It shouldnt really do anything. Usually, the next day we would wet sand with 1500 grit paper and buff the paint, then use Imperial hand glaze to remove the swirls. then we would wash it one final time prior to the customer picking it up. I would try washing it with a very mild detergent and a soft cloth. Then dry it off as best as you can with out using anything too stiff. the paint needs time to cure, and it will be rubbery for a bit.
If the paint does not have enough hardener, it takes along time to cure, but if it has too much hardener, it will shrink and crack.
TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 01:46 PM
WSB

The rain could possibly leave water marks if you didn't dry it off. Probably nothing
that a good buffing wouldn't fix. What kind of paint did the shop use?

Wayne
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

refershing to hear.
I'm not sure what they used, I just know it is bright red(nissan color)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2002, 01:13 AM
Old Hand

I got some 'mud spots' that wont go away.... mud sat on the hood for a day, now there is a small amount of rough area where the chunks sat....

I tried a Clay Bar, Wax, and some of the other usual stuff I have to remove scratches, sap, and fading.. nothing worked.. weirdest mud I`ve ever seen... will get some pics if anyone is intersted..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode