TJ's switches HATE water. (long) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

TJ\'s switches HATE water. (long)

on memorial day, z50k2 and I were sitting at the top of an evil hill in Monteagle TN wating to winch others up. The weather was something between monsoon and hurricane..full gale warnings... there was water everywhere. after a half hour of so we got a couple of the rigs from our group up the slope and we could hear an odd noise. beep beep beep..... hmmmm.... we couldnt figure out what it was. i went to investigate it and found that it was my door beeper thingy.. this is odd becauseI pulled the fuse as soon as I got the jeep. obviously water got in the contacts and made the switch work. Ricky was kind enough to suggest that my tampon dispensor was empty and needed filling, but I told him that it was my CJ recovery alarm........
anyway.. yesterday I was washing the jeep (really) and I had the powerwasher out so i gave the inside a little squirt. no problem.. i washed the whole jeep and took it for a ride (manditory after a bath)... the wipers wouldnt shut off.. not at all..I had to drive around for a half hour untill the water worked it way out of the switch... I cant think of a good way to prevent these things from happening...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 10:01 AM

Re: TJ\'s switches HATE water. (long)

Didn't someone else have a problem with the dash board blowing out after leaving the top off in the rain? The dealer wouldn't warranty it. That's my biggest fear with the my new TJ. I used to let it pour into the CJ and YJ, worse case the radio wouldn't work for an hour.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Chris,

Why don't you pull the fuses, put some dielectric grease in there, and put the fuses back in. It'll keep the water out, along with dust, etc.

As for the door beep beep beeper, do the same thing, but with a blown fuse.

You could also wrap the fuse panel in saran wrap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 10:14 AM

Elusive- How about you stick a little "filler" in there? Can't you make like a plastic or rubber fuse? Something that won't conduct electricity but will keep water out of certain circuits. Aren't the TJ fuse boxes under the hood? Can they be sealed with a little silicon adhesive? Grease the opposite mating surface so the silicon doesn't glue the two parts together. Maybe even get a shower cap and tape it around the fuse box. One with little pink flowers on it [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 10:27 AM

I know exactly what your talkin about. My TJ set out during a heavy rainstorm and later on when I went to go somewhere I got the beep beep. Turned it off(after having blew the CD player)and let everything dry out and it was fine after that.

If you find a good way to seal it off let me know.

The TJs have normal sized fuses behind the glove box and the larger fuses under the hood on the fender.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 12:13 PM

same thing happened to my buddy
he is kinda a rich boy and his daddy bought him an already lifted tj.
I bugged him to go wheeling and we got stuck in some THICK stuff.
THe ground looked just dry and cracked in most places..with a bit of water, but underneath was a different story.
It swallowed his 33"s whole.
We winched ourselves out and got his jeep muddy as could be.
When we were driving a ton of mud started flinging up.
A baseball size blob landed on the gauges.
He washed out the interior and the wiper just wouldn't go off on the way home.
Needless to say he was pissed, but it stopped a while later.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 07:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I used a rubber band and a piece of plastic wrap. But in retrospect I may try the dia whatever greese idea. I have been haveing problems with my gas guage just going to empty for no reason, wrapping the fuse box did not help, but I just left it there as a precation.

What about Silicone sealant around the connections would that work?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 10:04 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

it was my CJ recovery alarm........

<hr></blockquote>

<font color=red> Good Grief , now I`ve heard it all </font color=red> [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Your just toooo funny E

Jeff
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 10:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

"Ricky was kind enough to suggest that my tampon dispensor was empty and needed filling, but I told him that it was my CJ recovery alarm........"

LMOA!!!![img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode