possibly buying a TJ tomorrow - need advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 12:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

possibly buying a TJ tomorrow - need advice

ok so im going to look at this Sahara tomorrow and i am wondering if there are some distinct things i should look for or check,(make sure im not gettin screwed) its a 98 with 74k miles. its still under warranty and looks really sharp and is pretty sharp lookin from what i hear. the dude's askin $13,900. is this pretty good? from the research i have done, it seems pretty good. of course i will use the jedi mind trick and try to jew this guy down, but what kinda things should i look for. dont want to get it home and find something seriously wrong with this sucker. im new to the jeep community having just bought my first tj less than 3 months ago...HELP!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 02:32 AM

Re: possibly buying a TJ tomorrow - need advice

$#@!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 06:59 AM

if it doesnt have the 4.0, i would pass on it. the 20 gal tank would be a good idea too.

get the vin, and have it researched. see what its been thru. for all you know, it coulda been a salvage yard special. creature comforts that you require would be a bonus.

LOTSA ppl have been buying jeeps because its the 'cool' thing to drive. alot are now realizing that jeeps all ahve their own, different personalities. THEY ARENT CARS, they dont handle like cars, they dont ride like cars, and they dont get mileage like cars. the only thing i wish that would be more like a car is the price of tires. i didnt buy mine for its gas mileage. i think i get like 4 gals/mile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 08:41 AM

Rock monkey, only the SE has a 4 banger, Sports and Saharas have 4.0l. The guy says he already has a Jeep so you don't have to give him the its a Jeep not a honda speech.

Anyways, Hoffa, check to see what rearend you have. Look and if it has a metal fill plug on the cover it has the D44, rubber plug and its a D35. Depending on what your intentions are with the Jeep you might have to pass up on the D35. If you want this rig for off-road purposes the majority of the time and see yourself going with larger than 33s anywhere in your future it might be best to find a D44 but not necessary so don't let me disway you from gettin the rig.

As a TJ, there shouldn't be rust or anything like that. Just look it over for all the normal things and you should be good to go. I'd try and talk the guy down some cause it does have some miles on it. Whatever you do good luck and enjoy.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 05:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

$14,000 for a 1998 with 74,000 miles on it seems quite high to me! I just checked Kelly Blue Book Online, and came up with a price of $11,900 for a basic Sahara in Excellent condition. I don't know what options it has, so you might want to figure that out and then check KBB. Make sure it hasn't been wrecked or any of that good stuff. I ran across two Jeeps that had been wrecked when I was looking for mine. Crawl underneath and make sure it looks good. No leaks, no massive scrapage or anything that shows it's been through more than a mud hole. Good luck!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 05:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm only going on the price. Mine is a 97 with all kinds of mods, the guy wanted 14,500 and thebank loaned me $12,000...which was about $700 more than retail value. I have a good history with them. I had a damn good time getting the rest together! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I had 75K when I bought it. I'd jew him way down if possible.

Or keep on shoppin!

Marcus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode