Spring Over Drive Shaft - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Spring Over Drive Shaft

What do I have to do with the rear drive shaft if I put a spring over on a 93 YJ. I would be using stock springs so it should be about a 5" lift. Can I get by with just a transfer case drop kit or do I need a cv drive shaft or do I need a slip yoke eliminator? I'm thinking that a drop kit and cv shaft will work but I want to see what you have to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 10:13 PM

Re: Spring Over Drive Shaft

im not a driveshaft guru, but i dont think you can have a cv driveshaft without the sye kit. if you go with an sye kit, most include a new shaft with the kit. the better places will require a deposit for the mainshaft that you swap out. i have a currie kit, and its been painless. ive had no problems associated with it, and i have about 4 inches of suspension lift with the t-case in the stock position, meaning its not lowered. ive got the 4* shims on the rear and thats it.

i have little knowledge of the soa kits and whats required after putting one on. if you plan on keeping the jeep for a long time, its a good idea to just go with the sye kit.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 12:30 AM

I am not a drive saft guru, but I do have 4.5 inches of suspension lift using a T-case drop. I get lots of vibration from the drive shaft. One of thease days, i'm sure it's going to break. Also, it has made it hard to shift into 2 and 4 the gear.

and I agree with rockmonkey 100%.

t-case drop is only a temp fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 03:11 AM

speed buggy, what in the heck are youu waiting for, if you are sure it is going to break then fix it before you send a 3 foot "baseball bat" flying across the high way at 40 mph.

as for the transfer case drop only being a temporary fix I disagree. Whats so temporary about it? It does have its disadvantages(loss of clearence) but.... it can be a quick and easy way to fix a major problem. Personally I would much rather drop my x-sfer case a 1/2" then be driving around with a permanent vibration just waiting for it to break. If you have a CJ 7 or a wrangler I think that most vibrations can be eliminated by adjusting only the pinion angle. But I have heard that it is impossible to do on a CJ 5 because of the extremly short and steep drive shaft length and angle.

good luck, sorry cant help with the SYE question.

Tony
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 03:27 AM

tony,
my t case is dropped. I still have vibs.
The T case drop got me from undrivable to drivable. it is a temporary fix. maybe if I had a 3.5 inch lift it would be OK. But, with 4.5 and above, no way.

and remember I have a YJ. I will "send a 3 foot base ball bat flying down the high way at 40mph" 40 is the max speed on CJs. I can do well over 70mph. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 07:08 AM

if i was you...i would invest in a sye kit. they are pretty straight forward in the installation. i spent about 3 weeks deeply researching them and looking for a retailer. i went with tom woods. the time he took and the patience he had with me calling several times, and his far-beyond-superior customer service are worth it. the man is just plain great. he has a few kits for sale, and all come with his driveshaft, made to order. just take your time, and look at all your options for what you will need.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 08:35 AM

Get the SYE and CV shaft and be done with vibes. On YJs and TJs you must have the SYE to use a CV shaft. Advance Adapters and JB Conversions have probly the 2 best kits on the market and don't require a core. The ones that do require cores continue to use a stock output shaft that is just cut down, like using the RE hack and tap kit. If you go with JB or AA kits they use a 241 shaft which has more splines and all in all beefier. I went with the AA kit because I managed to snap a stock output shaft and didn't wanna try another with the RE kit. Many have had good results with the RE kit and its affordable.

A CJ5s troubles go away with pinion angle being changed. After having installed a 2.5" kit on my 5 the driveshaft angle was insane. At 30mph constant vibes, the CJ sat up 1.5 weeks till I could get back to cuttin the perches rotatin the pinion and weldin em back on. Since that day no problems up to 55mph.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 08:52 AM

You absolutely have to use an SYE if you are running an SOA suspension, and plan to use it off road.
Regular suspension lifts, do not have nearly the range of flex that a well set up, SOA suspension will have, so they can tolerate interim solutions. Bandaid engineering solutions such as dropping the T case, and pointing the pinion yoke on a higher angle, can help reduce vibrations while driving on the highway, but they do not solve the lack of drive shaft, extension travle, needed when the suspension droops.
I have seen quite a few snapped drive lines, busted output shaft housings/bearings, and fractured T case housings, from non believers.
The best kits will not ask for your core shaft as an exchange. The best kits such as AA, Collins brothers, or Tera, will actually supply you with a stronger, hardened shaft, and new rear housing with their kits.
Kits such as Curry's only use the stock shafts, and cut and thread them.
If you are planning to go to a 4:1 kit, and keep the NP231 for a long time, I would suggest a kit such as Collins Brothers, even though they are a bit more expensive.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 04:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Wow!!! Your YJ can do 70?!?! Mine tops at 60mpg[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And what's up with the 3 foot baseball bat?! My driveline measures in at a respectable 17in[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I'd LOVE a 3 foot driveline!!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 05:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hahahaha....
70 mph...
geeze.. my tj with d-60's does 75 all day and its still stable, but the 5.38 gears show about 2700 RPM with the 37's. I have had it to 80 no problem though..
a couple weeks ago I drove it 10 hours on the freeway at 70+mph..... however...
I have a 19" driveshaft. its a cv shaft and the x-fer case has a 32 spline solid output.
my wife has 5.5" suspension lift on her tj with the "whack and tap" SLE from RE and it has been working great for 30000+ miles now.

the answer is.. you need a SLE and a CV driveshaft... do it right.. the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode