OT FS 87 G-wagoneer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

OT FS 87 G-wagoneer

I already posted this on the FSJ Forum I'm just looking for additional input. I'm considering buying an 87 Grand Wagoneer with 110K on it for $4,000.00. I haven't driven it yet but other than a rust hole in the frame on the drivers side it looks well cared for. The owner describes an electrically shifted transfer case and I can see the shifter for low-range on the floor. What sort of T-case is this? Engine, trans, and transfer case were all supposedly re-built within the last 10K miles ( but I see oil leaking at the front). Would this have a Turbo 400 or a 727? If it does have a 727 I'm wondering about swapping in a Mopar 360/727 combo to replace the AMC stuff. Has anyone done this swap? I have the Mopar stuff already as I had planned to put it in my CJ when the 258 dies. What about the AMC 360? Is 10 mpg really all I can expect? Would a cam, carb, intake,MSD help? I don’t mind lousy mileage if the tradeoff is good power I'm just afraid of getting a 10 mpg slug. How about suspension for these things? I'm expecting a cushy ride which is OK but I'm looking at my old 31X10.50's and wondering if they'll fit? Mostly - I just want a reliable, roomy, safe family-hauler that I can use to tow up to 7000 pounds that I'll be able to count on to start and function 98% of the time. I have enough project vehicles and just want one that works. (Wait a minute, I already asked about swapping in another engine and trans, and I'm wondering about fitting on bigger tires aaaaaarrgh!!!, will this bizarre compulsion to modify everything ever end??)

Where's My Sig??
First I lose my original login name and rating, now my new signiture disappears, whats up?? I've been visiting this board for so long I remember when CJ Dave lived in California and Team Rush had an HEI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 11:13 AM
Veteran

Re: OT FS 87 G-wagoneer

4,000 seems really high to me for an 87, The rusted ones are usually 500 around here and 4,000 you could get a newer one like a 91 or something. If I were you I would look around a while longer. And that would have a 727 since it is in the 80's.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 12:22 PM

thats WAY too muich for one that has a rusty frame ( its probably alot worse behind teh fuel tank coffin)

also, your asking ALOT of a stock wag, they wont really fit 31s without rubbing, and if they do the 2.72 gear ratio will make it a slug.

with the emissions and all those things in the late 80s they dont perform very well, that can be fixed, BUT its always gonna drink gas, never gonna have REAL zip ( although th e360 is strong) and pulling a 7000 trailer would be VERY difficult for it, AND reliable, and Grand wag?

hehe

they are fun, I like them ( I owned a FSJ cherokee) BUT they arent worth that type of money for what your looking, assum,ing they are even capable of doing what your asking ( they arent capable stock in my opinion)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 12:48 PM
Veteran

We had a '89 GW for about 9 months in 2001. (then I got a WJ for work & didn't need it any longer). Anyway, it had the factory tow package which included a tranny cooler and 3.54 gears. We paid $2,500 for it, it was in good shape except some minor rust seepage here and there. I believe it had around 90K miles on it. The 4wd consisted of a left to right 2wd/4wd switch thinggy on the dash just to the right and below the steering column and a low-range lever under the seat. We put a new radiator, new valve cover gaskets and a flow-kooler water pump on it, and it ran fine and cool, gas milage - I think I was around 10-12. I never towed 7K with it though, although a friend of ours has a '83 Waggy that he tows his CJ on a trailer with from time to time. I wouldn't recommend it to do that level of towing every weekend, but it is passable for occasional use in my opinion. We sold it for $3200 btw - but we had put some $$ in it. Oh, it had a non-power angle plow, too that came (and went) with it. I would recommend looking around a little more. And yes, we squeezed 31x10.5 BFG AT's under it (and it would rub some ocassionally). We changed the tires back before we sold it.

Hope that helps.
-Mel
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 02:17 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If you were in Oregon, I've got a '90 with a 4" lift, great shape all around, but it has a slight knock in the motor. I'm trying to get $2500. for it. All someone has to do is put a short block in it, as the currenty motor is a reman Mopar unit with 20k on it. (It runs great now, did the e-coil conversion and the Edelbrock intake/carb too, you just have to get used to the annoying tap.tap.tap)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thanks all for the input, I was planning to offer something around $2500.00 after I get to drive it. The rebuilt drivetrain intrigues me. I'm hoping that it's true. I am not lookin to tow regularly but maybe several times a year at the most. I just hear/read more complaints about AMC mileage then I see cheers about performance. That 10 MPG slug potential makes me cautious.

7T8CJ7
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 10:34 AM

Check out the full-size Jeep forum. A few people on there get 15mpg. Some put a fuel injection kit on their engine, other just good carbs, ignitions, and tune-ups. None seem to complain about lack of power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode