OffRoad Designs Chrome Molly Shafts VS Moser - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

OffRoad Designs Chrome Molly Shafts VS Moser

Since both sets of shafts are about the same price, after I have a fundraser and sell somethings I was wondering what company I should go with. I was leaning towards the offroad design shafts since they are pretty much warrantied except for breaking because of a u-joint. I think the CTM will hold up holding the shafts responsible.

If I do end up spending the money I shouldn't have to worry about the front end again, right??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 01:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OffRoad Designs Chrome Molly Shafts VS Moser

I can only give some an example of the strength of the moser shafts. I have a set of AMC 20 replacement shafts in my CJ-7. The shafts are from around 1990 and have the older style bearings, special order only type. It is a rear axle so there are no u-joints to let go. The shafts are of the finest quality. I have a built 350 and they take the abuse like a champ. I have roasted 33's on dry/wet pavement and not had problems. I have of course had no problems with them in mud or anywhere else. The stress that spinning a tire on pavement adds to a driveline is tremendous. You take all that power and let it slip. Then when the tire catches nearly all of the power is transmitted into the driveline. I know it isn't smart, but what is the point of a nice engine if you don't play with it. I rolled it once. I replaced the bearings, which disintigrated into dust, and that was that. Been working fine for about 2 years since the roll over. The shafts have been in the vehicle for a 12 years and have had to put up with the driving styles of 5 different owners. As I said they are rear shafts and have no u-joints. But these shafts are strong enough to take the abuse I have given them; and apparently everyone elses abuse also.
In case this helps.
The engine is a 350 4-bolt, bored .04 over. Flat Top pistons, 2.02,1.60 valves, crane cam for towing, Edelbrock Performer intake/carb. Hooker Super Comp shorty headers. A compression ratio of either 9 or 9.5 to 1.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 04:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have heard/read that the warn shafts are the best shafts to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 08:30 AM

I have heard the same thing as High5. This comes from a buddyin who has spent many nights fixen his front end do to the 401 FI being too much. He said for the front run the Warn shafts and on the rear run the Moser. I trust this person's word but take my second hand info for what its worth.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 09:15 AM
Nickmil

I don't have any experience with the ORD or Moser shafts but have plenty of experience with the Warn shafts. All of it excellent. Never broke a shaft. I have access to one of the test axles Warn used when prototyping their materials and they are TOUGH!. They put a spicer u-joint in one of their shafts, twisted it in a special machine, broke the u-joint, put in another spicer u-joint, twisted it until the u-joint broke again, and it looks as though you might still be able to replace the u-joint yet again with a little work. They did the same thing with a stock spicer axle and in each case the axle broke before the Spicer U-joint gave way. These were common 297x u-joints available anywhere. My recommendation, go with the Warn. Nickmil.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Well both of the shafts from warn or ORD are made out of 4340 chrome so I think they would be about the same strength. What company do you guys buy your warn shafts from??? thanks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

actually now that i have been looking around I don't see any warn replacements, no one seems to have any for a waggy 44 so maybe it will have to be a custom application from ORD
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 10:13 AM

I have 35 spline Mosers in my rear D60 and Warn D44 fronts cut and splined by Currie. No problems with either so far. Both axles look good and fit perfect. I guess only time and the Rubicon will tell. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 10:34 AM

Warn makes high strength replacements for the Waggy D44, so you do not need custom applications.
You can buy them from Drivetrain Warehouse for about $500 for both inners and outers.
The Warns have a slightly better reputation than Moser, for durrability in the front axles. The Warns use a different hardening process than moser, that appears to produce a more reliable final product. The Warns are not without failure though, I have personaly busted a couple of outers recently, durring some extremely brutal testing.

Drivetrain Warehouse number is 888-432-7656
Just tell them what year waggy the axle are out of.

Add a set of CTM joints to the Warn axles, and you will have set of lifetime warrantied axle assemblies that will be stronger than most people will ever need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode