92-2.5L- Where is this squeek comming from? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 02:59 PM
jumpinNrollin

92-2.5L- Where is this squeek comming from?

I steamed cleaned my engine and now I have this chirping type squeak from the front of the engine. I replaced the idler and the serpentine but it is still making the same sound. After sitting over night the squeak was gone first thing this a.m. until I drove about 15 miles then it started back up but sporadically. My only choices are the power steering pump, water pump, or vibration damper. The engine has 96K miles on it and I don't know if the water pump was ever changed. What do you think it is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 03:27 PM
Official Historian

Re: 92-2.5L- Where is this squeek comming from?

Did you hear it just when driving or with the hood up?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 04:04 PM
jumpinNrollin

I can hear it while driving and it increases and decreases with engine RPM (to rule out clutch throw-out bearing concerns, push clutch in and noise continues with no variation to clutch acctuation). When I have the hood open I really can't isolate the sound except to the front of the engine compartment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 06:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't panic or do anything drastic, I'm 95% shure that if you buy a little bottle of belt spray at your nearest auto parts store and give the belts a little shower with it the sound will go away. Most of the time it's a sing of your belts starting to get old. Might want to change them over in the next 6 months. (The Steam cleaning DRIED up your belts even more)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 06:31 PM
Way Outta Control

Does this Jeep have a "Idler Tension pulley," or a "Tension Adjuster Pulley?"

If so, one of the pulley's bearing may be going belly-up. It will vary with RPM. Try getting a little Spray Lube in a can with a nice plastic nozzle. Spray the idler and adjuster pulley bearings to see if the lube changes anything. If it does, the problems isolated and the pulley should be replaced.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 06:50 PM

I've found an elusive chirp/squeak in my engine compartment coming from my motor mounts. My T/C has been dropped, so now the motor mounts have shifted slightly, causing them to have metal to metal contact. I just squirt a little 3-in-1 down there every now and again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode