What Carb should I get? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

What Carb should I get?

Ok I'm getting alot of mixed views and info on what Carb I should get. i'm putting a rebuilt 258 and I want to spend my money wisely. I have been told to put the carter bbd back on because it plugs into the computer and it belongs there. I've also been told that the Weber has the best performance gains but they are a hassle.
What do you guys recommend. I think the Weber is a little expensive and if I do get one I want it to just bolt on without any extrordinary hassles.
At the same time will I get good perfomance out of the Carter.
Also do you guys know where I can get the best price? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What Carb should I get?

I got 135,000 miles out of my carter (one rebuild at 85,000 miles), but I fought it for the last year--wouldn't idle good, gas mileage around 12-14 mpg. I upgraded to a Weber about a month ago and while I don't think the performance gains are extraordinary or anything (it will still feel like a 6-cylinder despite what the ads imply), it is strong and smooth. My gas mileage is much better, in the range of 17-20 mpg. As far as being complicated, I would say it's the other way around. The weber has one mixture screw and of course your idle speed adjustment screws--that's it. No fooling around with a choke unloader or two mixture screws like on the carter. That's just my two cents--plus, the weber really cleans up the engine compartment if you combine it with the nutter bypass and eliminate all of the emission junk (it won't pass emission testing, though, so be sure you don't have to worry about that in your area). Installation of it couldn't be simpler.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 02:51 PM

I had a Weber 32/36 on my 258 before I did the 4.0 head and went to a bigger intake with a 4 barrel. Now I wish I had kept the stock intake and the Weber.

I will back up pretty much everything that johny1i said. No huge power gains. Maybe a little, but you also will run much smoother without idle problems and get good gas mileage. It is a set-and-forget carb that is probably already set the way you need from the factory. Most likely a bolt-on-n-go. Highly recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 02:51 PM
Old Hand

Ditto on what Johnny1 said. I've been impressed with my Weber and it's easy to install and set up. Only drawback is the expense.
If you want to save some money, search for the MC2100 swap. Alot of guys on the board have done it and have had good success. If I remember right, it's a carb you can locate in the salvage yard and you just need to rebuild it an buy an adapter and you're good to go. Other's can speak to that carb better than me.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 03:03 PM
round2it

I put the Weber on a month or so ago. I didn't notice any power gain until I added a Flowmaster muffler. Not sure of the one that made the difference. The Weber was an easy install and I kept all of the stock goodies so I can re-install the Carter when smog time comes around. The install only took 2 hours[SMILE], not bad if your only doing it once every two years. Funny thing is, if it runs better isn't it running cleaner? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]I only use it for offroad so maybe I should register it for offroad only.[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Jeff
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 04:01 PM

me, personally, the weber mod was in the top 5 best upgrades ive done to my yj. if you have to go thru smog checks, you may wanna take a look at this:
http://www.carbs.net/images/weber/K551-Si.jpg

i dont know how many or what vacuum hookups go with this, from the looks, i would guess that you keep a few of the factory hookups, including the pre-heater hose. i saw it last week, and just thought i would pass it on to the rest of you guys.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 06:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a weber with all of the install hardware for sale. The carb is in excellent shape and I would like $150 plus $10 shipping
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I forgot to mention that I got my Weber from www.carbs.net (no, I don't work there or anything, so this isn't a plug!). I only mention it because they are on special now for about $315. Don't fool with the adapter to keep the stock air cleaner unless you need it for cold weather--I actually had equal or better performance with the weber-supplied square air cleaner.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 09:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

How about an 80 cj carb. Its still a carter but it doesnt have all the computer $hit. It bolts rights up. No adapter, nothing. the only thing we had to change on my bro in laws was the little ball were the throttle cable hooks too. It was on the wrong side. The motor now runs much much cleaner, it actually idles, and seems to like off camber angles more. We never got a chance to really tune it since we only ran it once before we took the cj apart for a tub swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode