TF999 Setup - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TF999 Setup

I have an 84 Scrambler w/ 360 and TF999 setup, 2.77 gears in the axles and 33" tires. I know i need to get some lower gears, but i would like to drive the jeep in the mean time. I still gets up and goes with this current setup, its only 2900 lbs. My problems is i put the trans in drive and it holds first till about 5200 rpm then it hits second if i stomp on it. It will shift at a lower rpm if i take my foot off the gas or ease up the throttle. Once i'm going about 55 to 60 at 2900 rpms it will not shift into third, even if i take my foot completly off the gas. The trans also will not automatically go back into first at a complete stop. I have to floor it and it starts out in second and then it downshifts to first hard. The trans is freshly rebuilt with a shift kit, and i'm using a Lokar kick down cable. I adjusted the kick down cable by seting its max position with the max throttle position. Its my understanding that kickdown cable is what holds the trans in gear longer or until a higher rpm, but what tells the trans to down shift? I was going up a steep hill in second and my rpms dropped to 1100, and it still didn't downshift.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated? OH, is the case different on a TF999 and a TF904, would like to replace the B&M shifter with a Lokar, but they only list 727 and 904.

Thanks,
Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 01:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: TF999 Setup

Sounds to me like you've got a stuck, or sticking, governer. When you're starting out in second it's seeing a higher tailshaft speed because the governer is stuck "out". Now the NOT shifting could be a bad throttle cable ..but it too could be because of the governer sticking in the "in" position telling the trans that it's at NO or LOW speed ...when you floor it ..it sees that its got WOT and LOW speed - it downshifts to 1st. Obviously this is happening at different times so the governer does move. Probably the bore is scored and is hanging up from time to time.

I'm uncertain of your particular trans. When I had a rebuild (a TF A something or other) they threw out the governer for a new replacement because rebuilding/cleaning them had caused so many return service calls for faulty shifting. Now on the FWD units you can pull the governer w/o pulling the trans (it's a split casting). I doubt that you can do that on yours.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 02:24 PM

id your POSITIVE, the shifter is IN "D" when that happens, and your sure they didnt botch teh shift kit install, then either your kickdown ( downshift modulator valve fluid pressure control invoking mechansism for you symantically inclined folks) isnt working/adjusting properly OR there is a problem with the govener like GeeA said.

Id sure hope it isnt the govener!

of course you CAN get to it with the trans in teh trucjk, but its easier to remove it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 02:58 PM

Externally the 999 and 904 are identical. you did not specify the torque converter you use. some high stall will cause some weird things to happen at low speeds. But I would look more to the kick down linkage. It has to be set just right and have free movement or it can hold the shift from happening or create a premature shift. You may have to make adjustments to it to see if any changes (in shifting) take place other than what you have now.
GP'n
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 09:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

same as gp'n.
my 999 pisses me off big time til i get the
rod adjusted right. it'll act like it's shot,
but if i adjust it just a little, it's a
helluvan improvement. pull the rod forward all the way,
and set it on the carb at the idle position.
i even went about 1/8" more forward, i like it better there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode