CJ - Auto Trans Pan Seal new jeep parts Info. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 01:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ - Auto Trans Pan Seal new jeep parts Info.

I've had a tough time getting my pan to seal. Someone on this board said to use a genuine Mopar gasket because it was a super thick cork gasket. I went to the jeep dealer and they no longer use that gasket. Now they use the same gasket required for newer jeep transmissions. It is metal coated in rubber. They recommend using longer bolts which they supplied. It was easy to put in since it is rigid, and it does not leak. I torqued the bolts tighter than I would a flexible gasket and that seemed to solve the problem.

Just wanted to post this in case others could use this bit of info.

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 03:16 PM

Re: CJ - Auto Trans Pan Seal new jeep parts Info.

That sounds like an improvement over the old style gaskets. I usually just clean the surfaces real good and put a 1/4" bead of red silicon (high temp) on the pan and let it set up for about an hour then put the pan on. Can't say never had a leak but it was very rare that I did.
GP'n
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 03:39 PM
Way Outta Control

Humm... Longer Bolts? That's interesting. Infact, I've already stripped one bolt hole using the proper torque setting. Aluminum ain't too forgiving. So when I get the Jeep out here it's getting drilled tapped and helicoiled.

Untill I started using the cork gaskets I couldn't seal that transmission to save my life. It was bugging the heck out of me. I was about to start cutting and forming little tabs to fit between the bolts that would extend the torque and provide a better seal. I still may do that.

In some areas on the TF999 a longer bolt really ain't too good of an idea. How long were the new bolts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 01:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I held the bolts up to one another and the difference was really small, maybe an 1/8th of an inch? I read the tech write up I got from the dealer with the "new" torque specs and it said the bolts are necessary to keep from scratching the paint. Maybe the tech I talked to was wrong about needing longer bolts. The gasket is definitely thicker than the Fram gasket I get from Kragen.

Take Care

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode