Spark Plugs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spark Plugs

I have a question about spark plugs. Would improper gap allow a jeep to run without problems for about 45min then cause it to stall and not start again? Thats my problem right now and I can't think of what would cause it, but I did just change my plugs, and before changing them I had no problems. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 02:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Spark Plugs

Sounds more like something else happened. not to sound t simplistic, but you do have fuel right? have you checked for Fuel and fire?

brent
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 02:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Renegade,

1. Fill out your profile, we don't even know what you have.
2. How long untill it starts again, and what do you need to do to start it.
3. What are you doing when it stalls?
4. Any mods or abuse has it gone through recently?
Sounds like Vapor Lock to me, or a bad gas line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 02:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Its an AMC 360 in an 87 YJ, and yesterday i decided to get some new plugs, they hadn't been changed forever, so i changed them, then went out for a drive, i drove for about 45 mins then as i pulled up to a stop light it stalled and i wasnt able to get it started again. I got it towed home. It was very low on gas, but not empty, and i have since topped it off, and it still doesnt start. When you do try starting it it cranks, and fires up but won't run for more than a second after letting go of the key, but i noticed if you hold the key in the start position longer than normal it stays running.

ps I'll modify my profile.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 03:07 PM

You have a plugged fuel filter... I would bet money on it. These are the classic symptoms of how you clog a fuel filter. Running low on fuel letting the rust and crud from the bottom of the tank get sucked into the fuel line blinding off the filter. Some times it clears enough to run a short time and build pressure then blind off again. You will need to replace the filter and possible have to clean you fuel tank. This is my best guess with out seeing and hearing it run,,(or in this case, run a short time). This probably had nothing what so ever to do with the plug change out, would have happened anyway.
GP'n
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 03:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree w/ GP'n. What you can do in a pinch is remove the fuel filter and drain it out backwards. Does not work for long, but may get you home.
Caution! Do not do this on a hot engine if the filter is anywhere near engine or exaust. Better to be stuck, than burned-up.

You should also check your spark too, make sure you did not inadvertantly cause something in the coil or cap/rotor to come loose.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 11:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I checked my filter, took it off, drained it, shook it abit, put it back on, same problem, took the line off going to the carb to see if fuel would squirt out the filter,and its getting through the filter. All wires are connected good at both ends...next guess would be carb related?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 11:37 AM
Way Outta Control

Stalling can be somewhat ambigious. My rule of thumb (which ain't perfect but which as served me well) is that:

1. If the Jeep coughs, sputters, lopes, catches and dies... it's fuel related.

2. If the Jeep dies quickly... even similiar to a hesitation or hicup... it's electrical related.

So the question I have is that when the Jeep's dead and just cranking away, do you have:

a. Air.
b. Fuel.
c. Spark.

How have you confirmed each of the above?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 04:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Renegade,
It's not fuel. Check the resistive wire or resitor for your coil. The key to your problem is the fact that it fires when you crank it and then stops when you let go of the key....but if you hold the key in the start pos, it continues to run.
There are two paths of voltage to the coil. One is via either a resistive wire or resistor. For normal operation, it drops the voltage down to about 8 volts for the coil. The other voltage is typically from the starter relay. It applies full voltage to the coil while your are cranking the engine. This has two purposses..first, it gives you extra voltage to help fire the plugs...usually needed on real cold mornings. Second, because of the load of the starter, there is less voltage available to the coil.

I'm not real sure about the 360, but most likely it's a resistor. It should be mounted inside the engine compartment somewhere...you can't miss it...it should be white and about 2 1/2" long with a wire connected at each end. If you have a voltmeter, measure the voltage on the pos side of the coil with the key on. You should have about 8 VDC. With the engine cranking it should be about 11-12VDC. I would say there is a good chance you knocked one of the wires to the resistor kinda loose when you were changing the plugs. Driving it caused it to fall off completely.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 05:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

DD ..yes, it sounds like my old Aspen did when it had a bad ballast resistor. Fires in the START position ...won't fire in the ON position.

He's not getting juice to the coil in the ON position
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode