4.0 head conversion exhaust questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 10:05 AM
Xburn3

4.0 head conversion exhaust questions

I know this has probably been talked about 8 million times but I did the searches and am still confused. I have an 87 YJ. I have the EGR valve coming off of my exhaust to my intake. I got a manifold from a 94 but it has no holes for either the oxygen sensor or the EGR tube. I also have the air heater hose to heat up the air during starts. My question is do I need any of these. I am planning on converting to fuel injection not so far down the road but I have to run on carb till then. I know I need the 02 sensor welded, but I am not sure of the other stuff, any help is well appreciated thankS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 02:29 PM

Re: 4.0 head conversion exhaust questions

I am not running any of those things on my carbed 4.0 head conversion. Pulls frigg'n strong for a six and I'm getting high teens for gas mileage.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 05:16 PM
Xburn3

so can i just without any of them? that would leave a hole in the intake where the EGR tube is. I guess I can deal without the hose being on the air filter. Should I just get a 4.0L intake. Wouldn't all this raise emissions?? Kinda want to do it this week thats why I am asking all the questions. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 08:29 PM

You can't run with a hole in your intake. You would have to plug that (pipe fitting should work). The place where the hose goes inside the air filter would also need to be plugged if you don't use that.

All this probably will raise emissions, especially the EGR. Were you still planning on running all the rest of your emissions? Is your computer still hooked up? I don't have to worry about the smog police, so my engine has none of that crap on it.

If you're worried about emissions and have to pass a sniffer or something, I am probably not your best source... sorry. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 09:08 PM
Xburn3

Yeah I wasn't planning on taking anything smog related off until I get the Fuel Injection setup ready to go. Comp is still up as well. I just had inspection and I passed fine so I am not due for another year and a half or so. I just don't know what I should do. Hasn't anyone else run into this problem??
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 08:09 AM
Xburn3

anyone??
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 09:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i am about to enter the smog nazi zone.
i have basically what you do, + a low end cam.
i am going to route my pcv's to the outside, so they're
not being reburned (don't know if it'll help), and
also going in with only a coupla bucks of gas with 4
pints of gasline anti-freeze in it.
hopefully that'll do it. prolly next week.......
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 08:37 AM
Xburn3

ok, Im not really sure what the smog nazi zone is, but...I am sure someone else has run into this little dilemma, or am I the first?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2002, 11:59 AM
brendan

if your egr valve is good, just disconnect your egr system, and no gases will be drawn through the empty port on the intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode