spool or locker? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 08:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

spool or locker?

I'm about to begin working on my scrambler and have been pondering rear end treatments, specifically a spool or a detroit. My CJ5 had a Detroit which was fine, worked great, not to bad on the street, a buddy's scram has a newer soft locker and it too is great, but recently a fellow who's opinion I respect was advocating a spool instead, better price, more durable and not that much worse on the street although with slightly higher tire wear.

The scrambler is intended to be my daily driver and light-moderate trail rig (Blanca Peak, hopping Jalapeno, Holy Cross, Devil Racetrack type stuff, no interest in patzucarro's revenge, upper Helldorado or the like). Planning on a Dana 44 rear from a scout and 4.27 gears. For now it'll retain the 258 and t5 but ultimately I'll go either 4.0L or 4.7 L with an od auto.

Input, thoughts, would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 08:50 AM
Veteran

Re: spool or locker?

If it is your daily driver I would put a detroit in the rear, from everything I have heard spools are for just off-road. Yes they are stronger but that is going to be a lot of strain for the pavement. Go with a Detroit.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 09:10 AM

alot of folks run spools, or welded in daily drivers.

the reasoning is that the detroit locks and unlocks and sometimes at the MOST inoppurtune time, like while shifting, or modulating throttle or turning, and when it does this it sometimes thwos the vehicle, or makes it pull really hard.

the guys who have spools/welded rears Ice talked to and asked (alot of folks) say that the spool/welded is always the same and therefore is alot easier to get used to driving with.

I did this research a year or so back, and Ive welded my rear up, just havent gotten it all back together yet.

fwiw, just another opinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 09:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I've had both in daily drivers....truth is.. I really like detroits.. you get used to them and you know when they are going to pop after awhile.. the spool... it just sucks on the street...
there are air lockers, cable lockers, and other lockers as well....really.. for a rig that only sees the traila c ouple times a month,its hard to beat the selectable lockers..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 10:34 AM
Old Hand

Took me a couple days to get used to the lockers on the street, took me a couple days longer to get used to the YJ's sensitive gas pedal as well!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 11:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been running a Detroit in the rear for a couple years now, once you get used to it it's just fine. I'd go with the Detroit.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 11:25 AM
Addict

I have a spool in the rear D44 on a CJ I love it. There is little to no Differance in handling when compaired to a Detroit full locker! The limited or easy locks on the other hand to pop in and out and can make for a seat of the pants situation at times! 4wheel drive and sport utillity did a camparison about a year ago and said that for there money they would run a spool in back! I agree! With the money you save you could pay for half an ARB for the front!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 12:35 PM

For a DD, IMO, spools suck. I've run spools ,detriots, and welded, I prefer the Detriot. With a spooled or welded diff, you'll be loading up the axle in every parking lot turn, chirpping the tires, if you spring are soft the body roll will increase alot, the pinion bearings seem to wear faster(noticed this on the last 3 welded diffs we've worked on), tires wear faster. For a trail rig with limited street use, a spool is great but do you really want to deal with all the qurks that come with a spool on the street for the times your running light to moderate trails? Between the two, I'd rather use the detriot but In your case(DD), maybe even an OX selectable.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 01:48 PM
jeepfiend

I have both, a detroit in the Jeep and a welded diff in my old truck. When I kept the old truck on my dad's farm, I never minded the welded rear, and in most cases I really didn't notice it that much. When the snow started flying here in utah last winter, I went and got the truck for my daily driver. Driving in town, my tires wore like pencil erasers. I liked the welded rear for slick roads because I never had to worry about the unexpected engage/disengage and on a long bed truck it was very predictable as far as sliding.
My Jeep does not get that many miles, but I really don't notice the Detroit anymore. I will get the occasional clunk, but I drive like an old lady on the streets, so the detroit really is not noticable. I think you will get a lot better tire wear with the Detroit. Or as others have mentioned, a selectable locker. If I had the money, I would put OX-Lockers front and rear. My biggest problem with the welded rear is the tire wear. If you can accept the accelerated wear it is a less expensive option. I took a set of tires that had a little less than 1/2 tread and wore them completely bald in nine months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode