OT - Screwed out of $100 at Checker. Need Advice. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

OT - Screwed out of $100 at Checker. Need Advice.

Checker is also known As Shucks or Krager in other parts of the country.
First, the rundown.
I needed a pitman arm puller to yank the pitman arm off the steering shaft so I could replace the seals.
Not being able to go to Autozone of Pep Boys (both were closed), I went to the closest Checker store. I asked for a pitman arm puller to rent, but they only had a $100 5 piece steering kit. Inside of which was a pitman arm puller.
They handed me a brand new kit, took my $100 deposit and on my way I went.
Well, I got home, pulled the nut and washer off of the steering shaft. Placed the puller squarely on the pitman arm, attached a socket and ratchet to the puller, and on the first turn, one of the arms that holds onto the pitman arm snaps - right at the joint no less.
Remember, this is a brand new set, noone else could've possibly stressed the metal which just screams "manufacturer defect".
So, pissed off and worried about my $100 deposit, I go tearing off to Checker again. When I get there I calmly and politely ask to speak to the manager on duty. Just so happens I get to talk to the assistant manager. So I explain to him what happened, and showed him the broken puller. He recites the "store policy" which is basically "you break it, you buy it". Nevermind the fact that there is no paperwork or anything is given at time of loan...but that's another point.
Anyway, I once again explain to him that I shouldn't be held accountable for a defect in the material. I was not misusing the tool, and there is no way that I could've cranked down on it too hard..it's a pitman arm puller for crying out loud, it's going to have large amounts of force placed on it.
Anyway, my steering box still leaks, my pitman arm is still attached, I am currently the unproud and unhappy owner of a bunch of tools I'll never use again, and to top it all off -I'm $100 lighter in the wallet.

I did get the district managers name and phone number so I will be talking to him come Monday. But I need advice on how best to approach this situation to minimize the chances of getting screwed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:46 PM
sas87yj

Re: OT - Screwed out of $100 at Checker. Need Advice.

lesson learned:
never rent tools- buy your own.
don't rent jap-crap if you have to rent.
don't ever buy jap-crap.

sorry you got burned. like you said, talk to the mgr- maybe he will cut you a break but i doubt it. i deal with checker here in tucson if they have what i need along with pep boys and auto zone. they're all the same caliber in my opinion. i go to up-scale parts houses for certain items.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

I would've picked up a good quality puller from Napa, but they close at 3 on Saturday here..it was about 5:30 when I started all this.
The other two parts stores didn't even have a pitman arm puller..for sale or rent.

But yes, lesson was learned, albiet a very expensive one..lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 10:31 PM
Veteran

Now that you own it shouldn't it be covered under some kind of warranty for defects. I would call the manufacture.

Funny, I just rent the same kit tonight from Checker. I am returning it tomorrow morning.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 10:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I used to work at Schucks, and know that they are suppose to have you read, AND sign a piece of paper. I believe somewhere in that paper it says that if it breaks, you now own it. Well, you said you didn't sign anything, they just handed over the tool. That is their problem now. Tell them to show you there rental tool agreement paper and read it over. See if they can dig up yours that you never signed. I HATE CSK Auto. That place is a JOKE! Fortunetly I know still know the people at the Schucks I used to work at, and they cut me a break. Hopefull you get it resolved. I feel you will. Just talk to the store manager, and if that doesn't work, ask for the district manager's phone number. Good luck!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 10:43 PM

I just rented one AGAIN from AutoZone.
Just a nice one piece unit, but there are lots of stories out there of them breaking on stubborn pitmans.
Didn't sign anything but my credit card slip though.

OK, let's try to at least learn something here ...
What's a GOOD brand to buy? Snap-On? Granger? ???
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 10:45 PM
Enthusiast

Buy a pitman arm puller to replace the one that broke and return the set. At least you'll recover part of your money.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Jerry - I've already had that idea..but the problem lies that I can't find a replacement anywhere but in that set.

Jaffer - I don't have a credit card (long story), si had had to deposit $100 in cash.

Yeah, overall though I was never given any written documentation about the policy regarding loaned tools. And I will bring that up to the district manager tomorrow when I talk to him and see what he says.

87CJ..at least you got lucky and didn't break one..lol

Thanks for the help guys, I will definitely bring up the lack of written documentation tomorrow though.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 11:25 PM
Mud in my Veins

Harbor Freight sells one for $8 - I've used mine once, so it was worth it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'll sell it cheap... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Have you considered having it welded back together? That & a can of silver spray paint might get them to accept it... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

I have thought about using some epoxy resin on it...then using some silver hobby paint (easier to get detail with, less noticeable ifthe color is off too) and then taking back.

But, I think I'll try getting at least some of the money back. Otherwise..since it is technically mine, I might try and get another puller under warranty (like was posted earlier).
Then if for some odd reason I do some steering vork..I'll have the tools..lmao.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode