u joints - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Aprentice

u joints

Hey guys u joint question? I have a 79 CJ7 and I want to replace the U joints in the drive shafts. What should I buy? Also the front drive shaft has a CV joint at transfer case and it comes real close to the pan on the trans. Have there been any problems with the drive shaft hitting the pan? Any info will help. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 02:24 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: u joints

1. Welcome to the forum.
2. Fill out your profile, it helps to answer quesitons.

IMHO... I buy AMERICAN U-Joints...none of the those "Made in China" parts... that's just asking for problems.

So on to the question... What type of wheeling do you do?

There's:

Rocks,
Mud,
Mud + Rocks,
Water
Mud + Water + Rocks.

SImple trails
Extreem Trails
Bunny Trails
Logging Roads
Freeway driving
Sunday Driving.

The answer to those questions may help determine if you want to upgrade straps and to use larger U-joints.

Then on to the Driveshaft question.
I'm assuming a TF727 Automaitc...

Is the pan dented? If not, then I guess it's never hit it. If the pan's dented... well you'll need a lift. You're probably OK.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 05:34 PM
Official Historian

Sounds to me like the stock TH400 and quadratrac. The quadratrac has a CV front driveshaft and ALL the u-joints have u-bolts. The straps weren't used on the narrow tracks. If you have quadratrac questions, do a search on "quadratrac" then ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 07:33 PM
BMB
Veteran

Hey Will.
Just an FYI, but later model narrow tracks used strap style yokes.

BMB
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 08:25 PM

The last time I did a U joint a few weeks ago I used my Ball joint press and it made the job so much easier I didn't believe it.I have yet to use it for ball studs ,but I am wondering how it would work on main eye bushings on the springs...HUMMM ???
main eye bushings can make a sailor seem like a preacher when it comes to cussing.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 09:15 AM
Official Historian

I've only used a hydraulic press on spring eye bushings and they always just pressed out for me. Once I pressed the stock spring bushings back in but that is because they were never used and I was selling some springs and wanted to keep the poly bushings.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 09:26 AM
Nickmil

To answer your question about u-joints use spicer. They are a little more expensive than other brands but well worth the cost. They last the longest and strength tests show they hold up about the best. The strongest u-joint made right now is CTM but they are more for competition not for something that get's driven on the street and are very expensive (worth the money for a competitor though). Plus, I'm not sure if they are making 'em for driveshafts yet (they were originally built for axle u-joints). Personally I carry two spare drive shaft u-joints. One spicer for my own use and one "less expensive" brand for giving out to people in trouble who didn't have the foresight to carry a spare. It makes you kind of a hero for getting them out of the woods and you aren't shelling big bucks for the real good quality joints to just give them away. I change my u-joints fairly regularly whether they are worn out or not so sometimes I'll even carry a good used one in addition to the new ones. Nickmil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode