one more "detroit in the D30" question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 12:52 PM
sas87yj

one more \"detroit in the D30\" question

still got time to resolve this one before i do the gears:

anyone run a detroit up front with the vacuum dis-connect D30? i am wondering how it will react in 4WD. whether turning will be a big issue. 2WD should not be a problem because of the axles not connected. if the detroit will make turning impossible, then i will put in the true trac.

i don't know if i've ever wheeled with this particular set-up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 02:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: one more \"detroit in the D30\" question

Sas a friend of mine has a detroit in his YJ d30. I remember him always shifting back to 2wheel drive to turn. So i broke his balls enough and he installed one of those cable things for the axle disconnect. Now when he need to turn he just unlocks that one axle.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 02:58 PM
sas87yj

that's what i figured would happen. an ARB will do the same thing- i've seen it many times, especially when i am spotting for a guy or just watching. the steering goes to crap and they will turn off the ARB to make a turn. at least they are still in 4WD with the transcase reduction working the rearend. i would not want to take out of 4WD to make a turn. that's why the true trac would seem to me a more logical solution for me. with a detroit in the rear and the LSD true trac i front i should have the best of both worlds- yeah right [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 03:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The true-trac is a posi right???? I have a detroit in the rear and a posi in the front. Well i am not happy at all with the posi in off camber situtions. I went with the posi cause all i ever used to run was MUD, sand, and hill climbs and the posi works fine in that. But now that i am getting far away from MUD. The posi sucks. So now i am undecicde either a arb or a ox. I am way to lazy to get out and unlock a hub everytime i want to turn. Then while i am in there i may go to 4;56 gears, from 4;10's. The ball never stops falling. HEHEHE
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 03:39 PM
sas87yj

yep the truetrac is made by tractech- builder of the detroit. it is a posi with gears instead of clutches. the dana powerlok is another option for a front posi.

ARB or OX are the selectable lockers of choice. i don't want either. too expensive. i don't want the air lines and compressor part of the ARB. i've seen some shut down on the trail, maybe it was owner-induced , i don't know. the front steering is the issue with the lockers. if you want total spool traction, then the locker is the device but if you want to turn i think the LSD is the one for me anyway. i think i will try the truetrac and can always swap out for something else later.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 04:17 PM
Old Hand

Let us know how you like the truetrac as I am intersted in something similiar....

ThnX
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 09:22 AM
utahjeepr

You won't need to shift into 2wd to steer with a Detroit. ARB's and OX lockers are harder to steer because they are basically spools when locked. I run Detroits front and rear and I steer just fine. Anyone who says you can't steer with a Detroit up front is obviously a pinhead who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Heck Steve, did it look like I was having any trouble steering at the AZ Jambo. I ain't interested in starting an ARB v Detroit v Ox arguement, but I think everyone can agree that limited slip diffs suck. So called "posi" diffs will "posi"-tively not do squat when you really need it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 10:08 AM

Steve,
Please do yourself a favor,....do not run a true trac, EZ locker, or any of the other LS type lockers in the front.
Trust me I have it driven many rigs with these types of lockers up front, and they will leave you very disapointed in the rocks.
The problem is, that in the rocks, as you know, you are not using your momentum to carry you through an obstacle. In mud and soft terrain wheeling, the LS can deliver relatively smooth power to both wheels, as the power is indexed back and forth between both wheels as you are moving acrosss the terrain.
You on the other hand, are gonna end up with the driver side front, elevated and completely off the ground, as you try to to gain traction from a dead start situation. In that type of situation, your passenger side front will be the critical wheel to initiate the slow climb, and even though you may have cleared the top with that tire and placed it firmly on a perfect line to make the climb,...it will unfortunately be the only tire not participating at that point due to the power being tranfered to your aired out tire.
I had to stick a branch through the spokes of my wheel one time to get it to stop spinning enough to index power to my traction tire, so that I could dump the clutch and launch out of what should have been a smooth climb.
An LS is just a slightly more aggressive open diff, when it comes to rock crawling.

Repeat after me know,...."To successfully climb rocks, all 4 tires must participate"

You will be pleased with a Detroit and will get the added benefits of having superior strength of the Detroit box over the stock carrier.
Utah is correct that the detroit will steer fine in the rocks, it does not act like a spool or locked ARB. They do not turn as well as being able to unlock your front locker altogether,(in some situations),...but I know you will be much happier learning how to steer your detroit locked front end, than being just another Jeep stuck at the bottom of the hill. In the rocks,...if you cant climb you cant play,..and if all 4 wheels arent participating,..you cannot climb,...."PERIOD".......
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 07:02 PM
sas87yj

right on tom! you handled axle alley very well. i thought you ran detroits F&R. i made the final decision yesterday and ordered two detroits so that's done [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] in two weeks i'll be ready for the alley-ya-hoooooooo
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 07:09 PM
sas87yj

ya mastah- grasshoppa can repeat:To successfully climb rocks, all 4 tires must participate. the detroits are on their way. oh and i took your advice on the 8.8. found one in oklahoma city- brand new for $425. it's got 3.55's and open diff but i am gutting anyway. this guy has over 400 of them, 70 3.73's LSD and a handfull of 4.10's LSD. i saw him on ebay and called him and bought one out-right. couple wreckers in tucson could get me a USED 8.8 for $950.

M.O.R.E. is sending me the install kit- spring perches,shock mounts,ubolts,e-brake cables and yoke.

got my 35's on and they are waiting for some beef between them.

thanks for the help [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode