Electric fan question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 12:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Electric fan question

I installed some electric fans on my jeep. I got recycled fans out of a Hyundai. When I installed the fans I just wired up the fans for ground and hot. There was a piece of porcelain hooked up to one of the removable plug terminals. I unplugged the terminal with the porcelain thing on it so I had less stuff to mount. I also did not use the plug with the thermostat on it b/c I did not want to drill holes in my radiator for it. If my jeep sits for 2-3 days the battery is dead. I re-charge it, usually on Mondays. Everything else on the vehicle checks out electrically, alt/batt. Do ya'll think the porcelain thingie might have something to do with my battery draining all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 07:11 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Electric fan question

Was the Jeep battery discharging before you put on the fans, or only after the fans were installed?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 10:59 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Originally posted by Bama:

When I installed the fans I just wired up the fans for ground and hot.

<hr></blockquote>

If you got the fun running just to the hot then that could be your problem. Or am I missing a step that you took. It sounds like you got the fan running constantly which would drain your battery. Or maybe you forgot to mention something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It was discharging before I installed the fans. It had a bad alternator. I replaced the alt. with a new Autozone Delco one, 110 amps. At the same time I installed the fans. The fans are hooked up through a 30 amp relay that is ignition key dependent. The fans pull about 18 amps when on and had no current draw when I checked them with the key off. If you need any more info. just reply and it should be sent to my email. I chekc multiple times a day.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 03:28 PM

Personally, I have come to find parts from Auto Zone, Kragen, Pep Boys and the like to be synonomous with crap. I trust nothing I purchase there 'cept maybe my oil.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 04:15 PM
Way Outta Control

Well, if it was discharging before you hooked up the fans, the chances are that the fans are not a factor. The battery is likely weak or bad and should be replaced.

The relay operation is a good idea. Have you thought about using a swtich and a thermostat to control the fan? Here's a little schematic (done for Surveyboy) which provides good automatic and manual fan control.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nice Schematic.

I replaced the battery with a Red Top Optima. I killed the first Optima and had it replaced with an identical one from a different plant. Interstate Battery called me back a few days later and said the battery tested fine and held a charge under load. They suggested I check my vehicle for a short.

I checked the jeep for a current draw on the battery as best I knew how. Multimeter inline between the - battery post and several good grounds. No current draw. I've had the alternator tested several times, it tests fine, and the local auto shop could not find the short either.

The only thing odd with my electrical system, other than the short, is the lack of power at the fuse box for some terminals. The terminals that are ign. key dependent do not carry power under load. If I check them with the multimeter they read 12 volts. When I tried to use them for my KC's, they would not supply the juice. I tried every switched terminal on the OEM fuse Box and they all reacted the same way. They read 12 volts without load but would not power anything under load. The rest of the fuse box is fine. I am wondering if there is a short between the battery, or the ignition key, and the fuse box. Maybe a short on the feed line for the ign. switched dependant terminals. What do ya'll think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode