Gots me a Jeep. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 12:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Gots me a Jeep.

Well, first off, hello all. I just bought a 1988 Jeep Wrangler three nights ago. I am curious what kind of stuff I should get for it. Do you guys have any suggestions? Just to let you know it is a 6 Cylinder, not sure if it is 4.0 or 4.2 liter, anyone know how to find out? Also, I live in Washington, little south of Seattle, are there any places to off road around here? Thanks a lot!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 01:36 AM

Re: Gots me a Jeep.

Welcome. If you ever have any questions about your jeep, this is the place to get them answered. Please fill out your profile...

If your 88 is stock it will have the 4.2 in it. What does your jeeps have on it? Any mods already? If you notic "flat spots" in the power band, or spitting and sputtering at idel, i would suggest doing the nutter bypass and get rid of that mess of vaccum lines. For compleat info go to shortwheelbase.com->tech section->electrical->nutter bypass.

I plan on putting the 4.0 head on my 4.2 with the FI in the future. From what i hear, this makes a dramatic improvment in the overall preformance.

Do a search about certian litfts and tires. And above all, do not get chrome to make you jeep shiny. Stay with this BBS and you will learn real quick what is good and bad in the overall jeepers eyes...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 04:14 AM

howdy mm253. welcome to the BBS
it helps if you fill out you profile ( especially the vehicle description). Do you have an auto or a stick?

is it stock?

and it is easy to tell a 258 from a 4.0. the 4.2 uses a carburetor ( unless it is modified).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 04:36 AM

You leave a lot open mm253. Besides what your Jeep already has, what kind of wheelin' are you planning on? Daily driver with light trailrunning? Rock Crawling? Mudding? I've been setting my rig up as a trail/mud rig that is highway legal and comfortable (in so much as a CJ can BE comfortable on the highway!). There are some guys on here with some incredible rock-crawlers, and some guys that are into complete restos. Let us know what you want to do, and we can help!

I'm originally from Washington, and though my family moved to Alaska nearly 20 years ago, I remember a lot of the trails my father and I used to drive together. I was from Grays Harbor (the Wishkah valley) and we used to go up to Grizdale a lot. We also spent time around Forks, Lake Ozette and Owl Mountain. Washington is littered with old logging roads, and they make for some good trail running. A lot of mudding too. I've got a cousin who has three Suzuki Samis in that area--her mudder, her husband's mudder, and their daily driver. Her brother (another of my cousins of course) used to have a '69 GMC on 44s and later a Nissan KingKab with 38's and a Ford 302 under the hood. Lots of good wheeling in your area, best bet would to be to hook up with some folks your first time out to show you the best (and legal!) spots.

Welcome to the board!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 07:22 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Welcome to the forum!.
2.. Fill out your profile... most of these guys don't bite.
3. Since you've had the Jeep less than a week.... don't even think about wheeling it off road yet, especially alone.
4. Hook up with a good 4X4 club in your area and make a few friends locally who know a lot about Jeeps.
5. Be prepared to debate square vrs round headlights.
6. Enjoy the Jeep while it's running.
7. Adopt the motto: If it ain't broke, improve it.
8. Buy a DVM meter and learn to use it.
9. Buy a Repair Manual.
10. If you don't know anything about mechanics take a community college course.
11. In almost ANY part of Washington State there's lots of places to go... my ol' favorite was the Natches Trail.
12. I hope (on the west side) you like mud.
13. Come over to the Right side of the State once in a while for "Fun in the Sun."
14. Contribute to the forum when and where you can. Two heads are better 'n one.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 08:11 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Leve sez: #6. Enjoy the Jeep while it's running.

Damn, not only is that funny it's the TRUTH. Ha ha.... my jeep has been down since Memorial Day.... anybody have a loaner CJ5 I can borrow!!

Welcome to the forum, this is a good one. Hang out... you are sure to learn something. It's not always USEFUL, but we touch on just about any subject.

Enjoy!!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 01:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

LEVE 9. Buy a Repair Manual: AH HA!!! I already got that covered!

LEVE 8. Buy a DVM meter and learn to use it: Sorry to sound stupid, but what is that? I don't know much about vehicles, so, I apologize in advance!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 02:03 PM

DVM = digital volt meter.
AKA -> DMM = digital multi meter

or volt ohm meter.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 02:17 PM
Way Outta Control

Speed_buggy's right... it's a Digital Volt Ohm Meter (DVM, DM, DVOM, VOM, meter). These things aren't too expensive. I buy the cheapest I can find and thow one in each tool kit I've got. They do come with simple instructions, and they are not hard to use. Properly used a meter will help diagnoiss problems a lot faster than you could ever do with a continunity checker.

Mark Twain was quoted as saying: "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education..." and Will Rogers: "We are all ignorant--just on different subjects." So ask all the questions you want...because we've got the a lot of ingonrance and education concentrated in this forum. The trick is to tell the difference...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 05:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

mm253 welcome to the best board on the internet, when these guys tell you to fill out your vehicle description you'll have to put it in your bio because a while back the fromat was changed and theres no longer a place for vehicle discription.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode