How: strapping a jerrycan gas can to a roof rack? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 08:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How: strapping a jerrycan gas can to a roof rack?

I have a five gallon jerrycan. I have a yakima roof rack and it has the basket. What are some ways of tieing or bolting that thing on to. The basket has some slots there, sort of like a fence. Thank you for your reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How: strapping a jerrycan gas can to a roof rack?

DON'T DO IT! You roll, you become a rolling bomb and/or flame spreader.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 02:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

What about people that put them on the back of their rigs on their tire carriers? Won't the same thing happen in an end-o?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 03:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I heard the jerrycan can take a lot of punishment. I mean it was used in the military and they had it attached somewhere. It is not the cheap ones that are just fakes. I bought mine from an army, navy surplus store.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 03:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is the description of the jerrycan:

20 Liter Jerry Can, Steel, Gasoline

click picture to buy, you will be transported to generatorjoe.net
20 Liter, 5.28 U.S. Gallons, "JerryCan" Fuel Can, "Steel" SKU 29520 $39.95

Detailed Description
SKU 29520 20 Liter, 5.28 U.S. Gallons, Gasoline fuel can, derived from the original 20 Liter "JerryCan", designed by the German army during WWII for use in the blitzkrieg of Europe. These cans are BRAND NEW in a box, NOT salvaged and NOT reconditioned.

This can is built like a automotive fuel tank from two stamped heavy metal parts, then welded together. The welded seam provides a super rigid can that can take all the abuse you can throw at it. Other "ordinary" cans are stamped from one piece of thin metal and the bottom crimped on and soldered. See construction details on our brochure: Click here.

These cans withstand rigorous tests including; a fire test (full of gasoline) and a drop test. These tests, which would crush the competition are easily passed by these sturdy cans. If you need a can that can take the pressure of off-roading, outback traveling, exploring uncharted areas and just plain surviving, this is the can for you.

The interior is flow coated with a special formula paint that prevents rust and does not allow contaminants to stick to the inside of the can. The paint does not flake off and contaminate the fuel. The heavy duty spout closure mechanism and locking pin ensures that the can cannot open. This "V" Type can has a locking pin on the can. Make sure you order a "V" Type spout to go with your can. Older "S" type spouts will not fit on these cans.

Embossed "20L" and "DOT 3A2". Available in Red. We are trying to obtain Khaki, Black and other colors. Virtually any custom color (including matt finishes), special labels and impressions are available on large orders.

All cans are certified to UN Standards and TUV. UL Listed. Manufactured and N.A.T.A tested to comply with Australian Stantard AS 2906-1991. Cans produced under terms of ISO9001.

We have 2 spouts that fit these cans; A Flexible spout and the new California Emission adapter spout, which meets all CARB requirements. All spouts have breather pipes for no-splash pouring.

The 20 Liter can measures 18 1/2" (468mm) high; 13 5/8" (345mm) wide; 6 3/4" (170mm) deep and weighs 12.06 lbs (4.5 kilograms). Packed 4 cans per case.

We are the exclusive distributor for these products. Dealers, clubs and other organizations with marketing capabilities welcome to apply for dealerships. E-mail us for dealer details and pricing.

These cans fit Blitz, U.S. military, UNIMOG/Pinzgauer (Swiss Army vehicles), Garvin Industries Wilderness Racks, Safari Trailers and most other popular off-road fuel can racks.

Need a Jeep Rack? Visit our friends at Garvin Industries at www.garvin-industries.com.

*Colors available on quantity orders only.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 07:51 AM
Way Outta Control

I'm with Brad on this one...

Jerry Cans were made for the express purpose of stacking 'em into trucks and airplanes and transporting as much petrol in a confined as possible without having to convert to a tanker. The cans were then strapped onto the outside of vehicles as a "spare" 5gal reserve.

The problem with putting one or two on the outside of a Jeep is of exposure. Try pulling onto a Ferry in Vancouver with a Jerry can. They'll make you dump the gas and fill it up with water. Why?

Well there are a lot of fumes in those cans. You drag that can accross the rack to retrieve it and create a little static and it may be the last thing you do. Heck, you look at it cross-eyed and it may be the last thing you do.

These things can be dangerous. If not handled correctly, the problem complicates.

Side and rear racks are bad enough... have you ever taken a Jerry Can and shot it wth a rifle? Wow, after WWII those things littered the landscape in Alaska... and it was great sport to shoot 'em full of hot lead to see how far they'd shoot into the air and how much damage they'd do as they exploded.

Now in an accident these cans may, or may not be punctured. Me, I don't want to take the chance. It's like having a loaded pistol pointed at your head with the trigger half pulled back. It's just not worth it.

When I was a fireman I dreaded vehicle fires and accidents with Jerry cans involved. You always had to beware that can, often paying more attention to it than you did getting the victums to safety... as that can would make you a vicutm right quick.

Now Jerry Cans are deisgned well, no doubt about it... burst strength, seam construction, and some are evern enameled on the inside to minimize the risk to the owner...but the risk still is there.

Now if you put it on the top of your Jeep and start a nice slow drive on a hot day... guess what's happenig? Yep, the sun's beating down on that Jerry Can. What happens when gas gets warm? Yes, it tends to vaporize, and expand. Now you've got a Jerry Can full of gas (or two) expanding and producing vapor within five feet of your head. If you're lucky, that's all that happens. If not, we've just lost a member of the forum.

If you persue this, update your insruance, send an application to the Darwin Society and hug your wife and kids each time you leave the house... you may not be coming home again.

And the biggest shame of it all...I may be sittin' in traffic next to you when it happens, and I'll just forewarn you now, I'll not be pleased!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 08:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Okay, now I know not to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode