Evaporation Canister Removal/CTO valve?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 06:32 PM
MaineJeep

Evaporation Canister Removal/CTO valve??

If I wanted to remove my entire Charcoal Canister, what would I have to do? Keeping the gas cap loose is not an option.

On the CTO valve, if I just disconnect all the hoses, do I have to plug any of the nipples on the CTO valve itself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 08:37 PM

Re: Evaporation Canister Removal/CTO valve??

why do you want to remove it?
its not hurting anything..
I had mine partially melt in a fire, so I just put the hose from the tank that went to the cannister back to the tank.
I used a vented gas cap.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 08:40 PM

Get a vented gas cap, plug the two lines at the tank or conect them together with one hose, plug the lines from the carb so there aren't any vacuum leaks. Don't understand what you are saying on the CTO valve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 08:49 PM
MaineJeep

Thanks for the replys, I think figured out my CTO question. I thought that Manifold vacume might come right through it since its bolted to the manifold. Looking at the Vacume drawing it appears that all the vacume sources come to it on the hoses.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You're right on the CTO part, it is just monitoring the temp of the water running through the intake manifold (no vacuum present except what comes through the hoses, like you said).
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 09:20 PM

No you don't have to plug the nipples it is a thermal switch that switches the source of vacume from ported to manifold depending on coolent temperature...it should go to your distributor,so you will need to hook a direct line from a manifold source of vacume ....and you will need to plug the hoses either where they connect to the CTO or plug them at the source.......The CTO is said or intended to improve cold weather drivability swithcing from ported vacume when cold to manifold vacume when the engine temp. reaches specified tem.Being in Maine you may want to consider this before disconnecting them.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 09:21 PM
MaineJeep

Dumb question. Where can I find a vented cap that fits an 87 YJ? What vehicle do ask for at the parts store for this cap? Junkyards are out because the nearest one is too far away from me, costs me an hour each way and gas, to take crap from these guys who don't want to be bothered with the small stuff. In looking at parts lists it appears that the earlier jeeps had a completly different cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode