Fuse Box, Kinda - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fuse Box, Kinda

I have a short somewhere in my electrical system. I have searched the BBS, and posted this before with no luck. I am re-posting to get input on something I found.

I tried to set up my KC's to be ignition key dependent with a relay. I checked the fuse box and found a few terminals that were 12v in the run position and 0v with the key off. I hooked up my KC's to the terminals that I had found. My KC's would not light up. I rechecked the terminals, they're ignition key dependent.

If there is no load, the terminals work fine. When my KC's are hooked up and turned "on", none of the terminals will supply the juice. IE no lights.

I have a short that is killing my battery if the Jeep is not driven for a couple of days. My alt., starter, battery are all good. What do ya'll think of my findings? Is this a sign of where my short could be? Got input?

Getting tired of charging my battery once a week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 06:16 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Fuse Box, Kinda

1. Work on one problem at a time.
2. Choose which one you want to work on.
a. KC Light problem, or;
b. Battery drain problem.

Were it I, I'd

3. Remove the KC wiring.]
4. Restore the OEM configuration.
5. Work on the drain problem.

KC installation.

6. Look at the schematic of your Jeep.
7. Power the KC Light Relay (coils) off the 12vdc powering the Oil Pressure Switch.
8. Power the KC Lights (relay Light contacts) off a seperate 12 volt wire coming from an auxilary fuse box directly off the battery.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Fuse Box, Kinda

Been working on the drain problem for 3-MONTHS. I have had one shop look at it for me. Couldn't find out what it was, they didn't charge me. I also used my multimeter, $40 Radioshack digital one, to test it myself. I unhooked the (-) batt. cable and put the tester between the (-) batt. post and a good ground, to see if there was a current draw. I always get nothing. I have checked several times. I have taken the jeep to the parts store, alt./batt. check out. I checked my electric fans, no voltage when key is off, pull 18 amps combined when on, and my relay is working. I'm stumped or just plain ignorant. Possibly both.

The engine is is a HiPo 350, there is no oil pressure switch I know of. I just wired the KC's hot all the time and used a lighted switch mounted where I can see it. I have two new fuse boxes to mount once I figure out what is draining my battery. Fuse boxes are ATC, six fuses each.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode