Help! Dead Jeep... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Help! Dead Jeep...

Here is the case. Today on my way home from work in the jeep, i spotted a buddy up in his driveway. I turned up this steep rough gravel driveway. 1/2 way up the Jeep stalled. Since i was in 2nd Gear, iFigure the motor was just bogged down, but it was not so easy.

After it was stalled and would not start the hood went up. There is no power going to anything that is ran off of the ignition switch. My lights and flasters do work. The battery is cahrged. The starter/radio/blinkers/etc do not work with the key turned on.

Is there a master "fuse" to all of the major electrical? Could this also be caused by a malfunctioning silinoid? You know when you start the jeep all the acc. is sut down for power to the starter. How can I check this? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 02:15 PM
Official Historian

Re: Help! Dead Jeep...

The only "master fuse" is the fusible link. It is the first few inches of the red wire coming off the starter solenoid post where the battery cable hooks to. If you have power on one side of it and not the other, you need to either replace it or swap in a maxi fuse.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 03:53 PM

I'll venture a guess at the starter solenoid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 04:29 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

It sounds like the fusible link to me . 99 % of the time though , there is always a reason it blows .

Jeff
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 06:09 PM
Way Outta Control

do you have a Manual or Automatic transmission?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

It is a Manule Tranny. I did a few test and made a few runs to Auto Zone. The one of the Fuseible links from the starting realy was just fried.

Now, Where should i start looking to find out where and why this thing shorted or what-not. Any ideas/tips to check for?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 03:43 AM

I had a pretty good short on my rig. the fusable link never opened. but, it was a strong enough short to melt the insulation off a 22 awg ground wire all the way up my harness.

It is time to figure out what shorted. there are a few posts out there by leve and others about tracking down a short.
A 12V ligth or a volt/ohm metter can be used AKA DMM.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:12 AM

A 22 AWG wire is most likely smaller than the fuseable link, that's why it melted first. What were you hooking up with wire that small [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 09:20 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Where should i start looking to find out where and why this thing shorted or what-not.

<hr></blockquote>

I would start by following the wire that goes from the starter solonoid (battery side) to the fuse box. Chances are, your problem is in that wire or one of the larger circuits, since anything else should blow the smaller fuses in the fust block.
Don't eliminate the possiblility, tho', that there is a short somewhere like the headlight circuit or even the radio. If the fuseable link was weak, a "small" short the normally wouldn't blow it could have.
If your Jeep has the splices wrapped in duct tape, they may be your problem. My Jeep had several of those that the tape had come off of.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 02:30 PM

Dschwab9,
I'm an EE. I was not connecting anything with that wire. I know what I'm doing [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

yes the 22 AWG (it may have been an 20AWG wire) is smaller then the fuseable link. no argument that is why it melted first. the fuseable link will be a smaller gauge then any wire that should be fused with it.

but the failure here is that a "big" wire protected by a fuseable link, grounded out on a ground wire (22awg). It was really cool because once the ground wire melted it's insulation off, it cut/melted through other wires in the harness and grounded them all out.

This all happened because, punk kids ganked the stereo and the previous owner of my jeep was an idiot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode