Which tranny and Tcase for this engine... bolt on? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Which tranny and Tcase for this engine... bolt on?

I just threw in a bid for this engine and was wondering my cheapest option for a transmission for it. Any ideas??
<a target="_blank" href=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1839735834>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1839735834</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 12:04 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Which tranny and Tcase for this engine... bolt

A 700r4 or 4L60 would probably be easiest bolt on. The t-case common to that model truck would be a 241 same as some of the XJ and ZJ use. It has a slip yoke that you would likely want to replace. Do you get the computer with it?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 04:40 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Which tranny and Tcase for this engine... bolt on?

Man , that is SWEET !! How high are you prepared to go on that ? If going Auto , I would get the 4L60 , 700R4`s had a fair amount of issues and IMO are j-u-n-k .

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Can't say how high I'm willing to go due to the fact that once I posted the link, another board member is outbid me.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
All's fair in love and war though.....

It seems like it comes with everything needed to get it running. I would just need a fuel pump, fan, engine mounts, and other misc. small stuff.
I was really hoping to stick with a manual transmission though, but I know that wouldn't be bolt on.
I could live with having to buy an adaptor down the road to get an nv4500 behind it. That might take a couple of months of saving though.[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 10:30 PM

Why couldn't you bolt on a sm465 and 205?It says it has a regular Chevy V-8 bellhousing bolt pattern.Or does it need a fly wheel sensor too? You could use a bellhousing off a 80-81 4 cylinder CJ,that would give you a chevy B.H.that would bolt up to a T-18 or a Ford NP435 with a Bronco 20.I believe the adapter for that is around $300.You can find those tranny's and t-case's fairly cheap and they are more than stong enough.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 06:07 PM
Official Historian

I thought the 4L60 was an electronic version of the TH700R4?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 08:26 PM
Can't Get Enough

It is Will. 700r4's made before 1987 had bad reputations as being weak. The used some beefier componets in the 1987 and up and switched over to the 4L60 (just changed the name and made it computer controlled) around 1992. Depending on what kind of vehicle you had in the early 90's you could have had either one. I think 1992 was the last year that the 700R4 was officially made though (I had one that came with my 4.3 that I am running).
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 09:13 AM
Official Historian

Only reason I asked is Jeepzilla said to use a 4L60 as the 700 is junk. I do know that the pre-87 needs internals upgraded.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 10:01 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">If you're going automatic, go 4L80... It's electronically controlled though but you could get a controller out of a GM diesel pickup with auto tranny and plug it in. It's like a stand alone controller if I recall correctly.

But the 4L80 is loads stronger than the 4L60 which quite a few seem to have troubles with over in GM land... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Can be found in 3/4 and 1 ton GM products. It's basically a TH400 with overdrive and electronically controlled...

Probably won't be all that cheap but might be worth it. Just wanted to make that option known as well... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 09:05 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Will , I had a 92 Z71 and was pretty sure that was a 700R4 . The tranny regardless was pure JUNK ! I got about 50,000 miles on the original and when it went , the same day I started vacation they put a rebuilt in and it didnt even get me home ! They put another in and I sold the truck . I thought 93/94 started using the 4L60 ? That really turned me off of any Chev truck in that year range . Ask H8 , he had similar experiences with that same tranny on his(maybe his Dads) Boat hauler and I thought it was a 92 . Later...

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode