Beef Up Dana 44 vs Dana 60??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Beef Up Dana 44 vs Dana 60???

Well well didn't have time to have much fun with my mini spool in a dana 44. Broke the passengers side axle shaft at the U-Joint. I am debating whether to get the moser shafts and the good u-joints or just wait for an already shorten dana 60, or just throw in another shaft from a junk yard and take out the minispool.

Boy do I love it though, with all 4 wheels turning I could crawl just about over anything. I think the Q78's had a big part in blowing up the joint since they dig so hard.

ANyhow what should I do? How much is the moser shafts and the u-joints. any ideas Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 02:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Beef Up Dana 44 vs Dana 60???

if you have a lot of $$$$ into the gears and steeringof the 44.. then i'd keep it..most folks I know that are running 44's in the front keep "reloads"; inner and outer axleshafts with a u-joint in them. when they let loose, it takes about 15-20 min to reload. this is a good solution while you are looking for that d-60 under a farm truck in a field that the guys wants rid of...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 03:57 PM

I'd keep the D44. D60s are overkill for many Jeeps, and although it may prevent breakage (at least with a stock or mildy modified stock engine), remember this - if it's bigger, it's more expensive. I have 44s front and rear, and even with severe abuse have not so much as broken a u-joint. I also have a LockRite, so I contribute that to lack of carnage. Spools are hard on things, you may want to reconsider a LockRite and chromoly shafts as a cheaper alternative to a D60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

alllockedup:
Thats the thing I couldn't deside on, I got the spool real cheap so I figured I would try it. When it broke I was accelerating through a hole so I think the lockright would have done the same since there was that acceleration.

Elusive:
That is the thing that sucks, regearing it was near 550, then the axle and then all the high steer. I saw dana 60's front and rear allready shortened with disc brakes and 4:10's for $960, which makes me think (I have more than that just into my 44's.

I still haven't got quotes but I think it is about 800 to beef up the 44 with moser shafts and the u-joints that are 150 each. If I do so over time Will this be as strong if not stronger then a 60? thanks for the help. Mike
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 08:49 PM
JesseA

i dont know if this applies here, but might it be a good idea to try a set of those WARN Hib fuses, i mean Its better than blowing up axleshafts and U joints I rather go through a few Fuses than an axleshaft. Of course, ive got no first hand experience with them

jesse
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 11:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where are you finding Front Dana 60's that cheap! if you can get one for $900 or so do IT! don't lessen to anyone that says a D60 is to much axle, just because they may not need it. Once you upgrade to the D60 your all done in the axle department on a jeep. I got a D44 front and 60 rear, and I wish I had a D60 front then I wouldn't have to worry about blowing sh!t up everytime I go in the woods. I've seen my friends blow money of 44's just to turn around and get a 60 later and regret the money wasted on the 44's. I had a friend that had the Warn axles with the good Warn lock-outs on his front d44, he ran 38's it was locked and had 4.88's in it. He busted the u-joint which flaired the yokes on the axles every other time we went out! and that was with a stock 258 6 cyl. I don't have alot of money in my Dana 44 so I'm still looking for a Front 60 but if you already have the gears and the spool I'd get some Dutchman custom axles (they make them out of Warn blank shafts) and some CTM u-joints. The choice is yours but right now I cann't justify spending $2500 on my Dana 44 when I can get a 60 for half that.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Well I just checked around, superior doesn't carry any or do any custom applications. Warn I never got a price. Moser said a pair of inner and outers is 294, The CTM u-joints are 300 a set. Now I am looking at 900 to fix up my 44. When you add up the (ball joints, u-joints, Ring + Pin, Bearings, flat top knuckles, axle, Histeer) It gets very pricey!!! For now since I don't have the kind of money I might just have to take the mini spool out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode