Detroit Locker ... 25mph .. CLUNK-- QUESTION - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Detroit Locker ... 25mph .. CLUNK-- QUESTION

Driving to get the jeep smogged today I was on a STRAIGHT road going 25mph and about to shift and then the rear made a *pop* sound; like the detroits do when going around a corner..... the sound wasn't the LOUD POP the detroits *CAN* make... but it was a pop and slightly jerked the jeep....

Any ideas why it did this could something be failing or could it have been since the load on the rear driveline was changing since I was accelerating then let off and shifted??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 02:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Detroit Locker ... 25mph .. CLUNK-- QUESTION

they do that.. sometimes for no apparent reason..
if you had an automatic, it wouldnt happen as often.
funny... my wife was going through the main gate of our base and her lockright gave a good metallic ping.. the MP's were about on the ground with their guns out before they realized my wife an I were laughing at them...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 02:37 PM

mine has and does. sometimes really loud and angry, sometimes ever so slightly. just check your air pressure in the rear, mine was really bad at it, and for whatever reason, i didnt check the air pressure until a while later. inflated the tires, and now, its just like it should be. my only concern now, is that the detroit has worn the splines out of my asle shafts. i dont wanna look. im just gonna invest in some new shafts and replace them. so far, the only place that ive found that sells stronger 27 spline axles is randy's r&p. they're the yukon brand, but then again, anything is stronger than what i have now. original dana shafts. one is original factory, the other, 5 yrs old. bent hub...not a good ride feeling. its ok with stock donuts, but not anything bigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

hehe [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the info,.. not sure what the tire preasure has to do with it other than maybe obsorbing the bumps, not shifting torque on the axles... not sure what you mean??

Anyhow as long as it's "normal" it's all good then!!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 05:58 PM

rolling diameter........one tire being bigger than the other is just like a loss of traction to a locker. one side has to keep up with the other. thats why there's a big warning sticker about keeping tire sizes close
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 06:35 PM
Weakenedmchnix

...Also, make sure you remember exacty what yu did before going on that sraight road. Mine has a tendency to engage back a long while after disengaging. Example: I back out of my driveway and the locker dis-engages...I go forward slowly and give it time to engage. as I'm driving down the highway...POP! it engages. Sometimes it just gets stuck. The tire pressure thing is also a main reason for mine popping.

Paulee
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That little tendency can be a bit unnerving if you aren't used to it. My wife, who very rarely drives my Jeep, was backing it out of the garage one day, and it decided to let go on one side, she about freaked! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] She hasn't driven that "scary" thing since.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 10:21 PM

so if I put 3 psi in the right and 30 in the left and drive around will my Detroit sound like a Tommy gun? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] jk!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know, why don't you try it and let us know, OK? [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2002, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Thanks for all the wonderful info... (and humor) :-)

When changing my rear diff. oil what is required.?.. since I`ve never changed a diff. with a detroit locker in it... do I need a certain oil, or additive?????

ThnX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode