Full Hydraulic steering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 01:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Full Hydraulic steering

I ripped the steering box off my CJ last weekend and have been through two pumps and two gear boxes in the last 3 years. I want something stronger for the rocks, and was thinking of doing a full hydraulic system. I can get some Ag Hydrostatic steering parts fairly cheap at the local Ag supply place. I figure, if its good enough for a tractor, its good enough for the jeep.
Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how best to attack this? I did a search, and some people had talked about doing this, anyone complete theirs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 03:19 PM

Re: Full Hydraulic steering

I'd be intersted in this as well. I'm gonna be runnin 38s after the buildup and full hydro steering might be beneficial.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 03:37 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have the stuff in the garage but it won't get mounted until I finish installing the new gears in my axles... I went with a twin ram design on my ram as opposed to the single ram style. One thing that you want to watch is the amount of travel ram that you get. Different knuckles will turn more or less than others. The two most common sizes that people run on the rams is 7" or 8" travel. The 8 will work on most 1 ton and 3/4 ton front axles (maybe not all) and maybe even some 1/2 tons. A safe bet on 1/2 tons is the 7" but there might be some axles (I am not sure about anything smaller than a dana 44) that won't even use a 7" and require smaller. You definately want to measure your amount of left and right travel or try to find specs on the axle you have before buying a ram. They do sell spacers though to limit the amount the ram can travel if you run across a really good deal on say an 8" and you need a 7". Also remember that they are not DOT approved and I wouldn't at all recommend one to someone who might do the occasional road driving. There is no mechanical connection to your steering and if you loose pressure or rupture a line your screwed (don't want to find out exactly what it will do going 70 down the highway). You can steer them without the motor running and they don't steer bad on the road if you have a short distance between trailer and trail. There is no road feel and they do tend to be a little quicker. The best part is tooling throught the woods with a welded front end and 42"s and turning the steering wheel with one finger....... (unfortunately I don't have the 42"s but I have drove 2 rigs with this setup that belong to close friends of mine)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

high5 went full hydro last month on his cj...he did tellico since then and seems to love it...
see if you cant scare up some answers from him.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 12:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

if yur using only hydraulics and no direct mechanical link...what happens if your engine quits?? do you lose the ability yo turn? same reason i prefer electric winches to the hydraulic ones....

or am i missing sometinhg like some pressure reservoir??
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 02:30 AM

I am not sure how it works but i do know from first hand experience working on my grandpa's farm. He had a several tractors with full hydraulic steering and i can tell you that you can steer without the engine running. Not very well mind ya but you can. somehow when you turn the orbital valve (steering valve) it pushes the fluid into the ram. the steering rate drops to like 1/4 of what is it with the engine runnig but you CAN steer. Hope this helps anyone. Wade
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 08:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been checking on orbital valves and doing some other research. Most Orbital valves have a manual steering feature so you can steer without the engine running, they offer less power of course, but they are steerable.
As for the rams, I was planning on using one 8" inch and getting some spacers. I found a source for nice rams for around $50. I still need to measure the wheel travel left and right.

I'm not worried about road driving, the jeep isnt even street legal and only sees speeds up to about 40 MPH.
The biggest part of this project is the cost. I can convert to full hydraulic for under $500, and be able to steer in the rocks with ease, whereas if I went with an AGR RockRam setup or similar, I would be up near $1000.

What Orbital valves are people using?
I was thing of going with an Eaton, they seem to have a very large supply of different valves for different applications.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 10:18 AM
Can't Get Enough

Hey man I got a number for you to call. The place is called Granger (spelling might be wrong) industrial supply, it is in Knoxville TN (865)588-2956. A few friends of mine bought their stuff there for around $300. I actually traded for mine (I know a guy that worked for a fork-truck repair shop). That ram price sounds good they are usually $65 and up. The orbital valve is what is normally exspensive. As for hoses we have found them at Northern and Tractor Supply company if you have either of those locally (usually you won't be able to tell what length you need till you get it all mounted). Here is a picture of my setup, it's a Danfuss made in Denmark.
I am going in there one day next week if you want me to check anything for you.
Actually I found a website you might have one of these locally <a target="_blank" href=http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/homepage.jsp>http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/homepage.jsp</a>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 01:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

well i hope you do a nice write up and post pics once its done!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 05:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey thanks for the info. I'll call around and see what I can find. I've found a Danfuss setup in Northern Tool and Equipment, but was not sure on the proper specs. I want enough power to turn everything, but not too much that I break stuff, you know.

I do have some farm and ag supply places near my house, since I live in farm country and all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode