Weber Carb intake modifications? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Weber Carb intake modifications?

Greetings, I have a weber carb on a 84 CJ-7 with a 256. I'm concerned about water intake into the rectangle filter that came with the carb. Does anyone know any ideas on how to shield and/or relocat the air intake for this type of carb? Thanks, Kryptonic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 01:42 PM

Re: Weber Carb intake modifications?

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Greetings, I have a weber carb on a 84 CJ-7 with a 256. I'm concerned about water intake into the rectangle filter that came with the carb. Does anyone know any ideas on how to shield and/or relocat the air intake for this type of carb? Thanks, Kryptonic

<hr></blockquote>

1) It's a 258 CID, unless you got jipped.
2) The filter is a K&amp;N style gauze filter, properly oiled (you can use the K&amp;N kits for this). It will keep most water out.
3) If you wish to relocate it, weber makes a cover you can use to connect it to a snorkle or use one of the tubes like TJ's do.
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.collinsbrosjeep.com/images/hardparts/weber/Flyer%20DGV%20Snorkel%20kit.htm>http://www.collinsbrosjeep.com/images/hardparts/weber/Flyer%20DGV%20Snorkel%20kit.htm</a>
4) Much easier and cheaper solution: use a set of your wife's old panty-hose as a prefilter, they will keep water out.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 02:15 PM

well....here's an idea for ppl with limited sheet metal skills. take a piece of .040 aluminum, (steel would be better) about 12" square, take the bottom plate and trace out the carb opening in the center and cut it out. use this as a heat shield or splash shield. you could bend the edges and make it a tray. if you really wanna be cheap, im sure you could use a small cookie sheet with the lipped sides. drill a few random holes for drainage. and that should do it. the only thing i can think of that would be a negative, is that this will make it harder to do stuff below the carb. now that i think of it, you may need longer screws for that bottom plate. i also posted a link for using the factory air cleaner on a weber, you could try that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 02:18 PM

here's another idea.....

take a stainless steel bowl with a flat bottom of sufficient size, trace and cut the carb opening in the bottom, mount under the filter. you may have to trim the bowl to get it to fit under the hood.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 02:46 PM

here's the stock intake cover and filter pic....

http://www.carbs.net/images/weber/K551-Si.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode