Rant : Jeep ignorant people who think they are not - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
BMB
Veteran

Rant : Jeep ignorant people who think they are not

So I was out looking for some square 2"w U-bolts and stopped at a local truck accessory store and asked them if they had any. No they didn't, but one of their installers might. Mr. installer proceeds to tell me I can get some from a YJ Wrangler because they have 2" springs and I say I thought all Wranglers have 2.5" springs. He says nope they have 2" and that is what was on his D35 axle. So, I say it doesn't matter because they will be round. He says nope they are square like when you do a SOA. I say on a SOA all you do is flip the U-Bolt plate and bolts. He says no you weld the plate on and that is the right way to do it. At this point I say well thats not the way I've ever seen them done and I walk out. I don't know what this guy was talking about, but if I'm wrong I'd sure like to know.

BMB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 01:27 PM

Re: SOA

You can do it either way. Some of the Stock truck SOA deals (like Toyota) use square shape U-bolts, some don't. Many of the stock SUA axles use round ones, some don't. There are plenty of manufacturers who did them both ways depending on the vehicle and model year.

The SOA square ones go over the springs and bolt to a retainer plate under the axle instead of going around the axle like the round ones do. They work pretty well at keeping the spring packs together like that.

Best regards

John
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 02:35 PM
Official Historian

You're right, cj front and samarai are the only ones that come to mind with 2" springs. The wrangler and rear cj are 2.5" wide. A big benefit of a SOA is to get more ground clearance under the axle where the springs were. By doing it the way that guy said, your u-bolts still hang down below the axle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 03:14 PM

here's a suggestion to your quandary.....

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/susp/ubolt.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 03:36 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'm with you on this one.

Just last week I walked into my local Auto Zone and wanted to pick up the flexible brake lines for my rear 8.8 axle. The kid behind the counter looked at me like I had 3 heads. "Is it the front axle?" "No, it's the rear.", I said. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

...An interesting conversation followed. I then described to the young man that a brake caliper needs a flex line because it moves back and forth with the brake pad movement and wear, and not just because it - how did he put it - "turns when you turn the front tires."

Pete [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 06:20 PM

Re: Rant : Jeep ignorant people who think they are not

man, all I can say is what was this guy smoking...

yes you can weld the plate to keep the ubolts the same way, buy why would you want to ..
when you flip them so the nuts are on top, they are somewhat protected from getting buggered up by not being under the axel anymore...

you might want to just measure the square bolt and thread type to get the square bolt you need
if you can hold one up and say to them I need X number of these, that would be best....

good luck...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
BMB
Veteran

truckjohn,
I understand what you are saying, I own a Toyota too. This guy said weld the spring plate on. I could be wrong, but I've never seen any spring plates welded to the actual spring, which is what he said.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

BMB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode