I need a new engine , what do you suggest? Help! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

I need a new engine , what do you suggest? Help!

I found out yesterday that my 258 has a broken #6 piston. So i'm going to put in a new/rebuilt 258(and no I don't want to do a V8 conversion). I also want to put on new carb, distributor, and mechanicle fuel pump. What company do you guys suggest I go with or stay away from for my engine.
What do you recommend for the other parts.
Thanks in advance for everyones help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:54 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: I need a new engine , what do you suggest? Help!

Get ahold of Elusive and duplicate his Stroker project... the results have to be pretty sweet for the money!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 11:05 AM

when i did my engine, i went with a long block from jasper. their warranty is unbeatable. they also sell a 'finishing kit' with a new water pump, gaskets and some other things. the motor itself ran around $2400, and the kit was another $100 or so. while i had the motor out, i changed a few of the harder to get to stuff. i also replaced alot of the sensors that go on the engine.

as far as a new carb, get a weber. its like a sunburned woody...ya just cant beat it.

with the motor out, take a look at all your wiring harnesses fix or repair what doesnt look right. same with the vacuum crap. if you are gonna stick with the bbd and stock setups, search thru the links i found earlier today and listed in the post titled 'sources of mucho info' that has a few links to the off-road performance mods, and alot of other links to good ideas and tips.

back to the engine.....the standard jasper rebuilt 258 long block will be at specs. no over/under sized bearings, that stamping mark on the oil filter boss is machined off. basically, its blue printed. when the cylinders are re-bored, they use over size pistons to keep it within spec and maintain the 258's bore and stroke. i went with a long block because it didnt make any sense to get my head redone seperately, this way, its already matched and installed. now would be the most perfect time to do a 4.0 head swap, just get yourself a short block from jasper and get a newly redone 4.0 head(redone for use on the 4.2 block). might as well have a set of headers put on too. everything is easy access once the engine is out. i just wish i woulda thought about doin some of this stuff on mine back in 97. one thing i did do was change the clutch. that was kinda like a no brainer.

i changed out my engine at 150k, i have over 70k on my jasper engine and its running like a raped ape. still running strong. next one will be another jasper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yikes, $2400! You can do a rebuild yourself for about a third of that. I just did that about a year and a half ago.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 11:34 AM

yeah, it did hurt a little, until i found the warranty to be 36 months and 60k. i think they extended the mileage portion to 75k. a jeep dealer long block was just 12/12k. same price, but that warranty just plain did it for me.

from the jasper site:
GASOLINE ENGINES:
Short Blocks 6 months or 8,000 miles Parts + Labor^
Completes and Special Completes
for Cars and Trucks 36 Months or 75,000 miles Parts + Labor~††
Industrial and Non-Automotive 6 Months Parts + Labor*
Parts/Gaskets 30 Days Parts

here is the engines site address:
http://www.jasperengines.com/frames.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 02:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I only had $900 into my stroker and that includes new wires and plugs!.
yours would be more $$$..
you have a good 258 crank and rods. get a worn out 4.0, grind the 258 crank .010 under, bore the 4.0 .060 over and you'll have a fuel injected 4.7 stroker. I have to run premium gas, but thats OK with me... you'd have a nice engine with lots of torque and even if you had someone build it for you, and you pay someone to install the 4.0 harness, you'd still be close to the same price as the remans. most reputable engine builders will give you a warranty anyway..

my engine has 4000 miles on it in 3 months, and many of those are wheeling or idleing at 3000 rpm to run the OBA or welder. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination an "engine builder", but I can read a book and do what it says...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 04:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

$2400.is kinda expensive I think Nevada Valve Train rebuild 4.0s for about $1200 I think off the top of my head and they have a 7 year 100,000 mile warrantee,<a target="_blank" href=http://www.nvtengines.com/>http://www.nvtengines.com/</a>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 06:08 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I know you dont want to do this but I cant help but say it , a low mileage 5.0 L HO Ford bolted to an inexpensive Ford T18 tranny .Fuel Injected , reliable and tons of aftermarket support . There , I feel better now [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

V8 Guy [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 06:31 PM
Old Hand

Re: I need a new engine , what do you suggest? Hel

Nevada Valve Train has pretty good prices - I just called them. The lady quoted $1195 + $795 core charge for a 258, and said they they could do a 4.0 head if I pad for a 4.0 head core charge. Shipping will probably be too expensive for me though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode