fire extinguisher mount - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

fire extinguisher mount

I was just talking about this on another board and thought I'd share. Thisis something Everyone should have in their rig.

I used a couple of quick release dog collars to strap mine to the roll bar.

One week after throwing the extinguisher in my CJ I had to make use of it. but at the time it was laying in the back under a pile of junk. If I had taken 10 more seconds to get to it, I would probably have lost my CJ. that's when I drove home and immeadiatly mounted it for easy acces with what ever I could find, ended up the do collars worked great and only takes a second to get it out.

Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 09:31 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: fire extinguisher mount

As a general note to all that have fire extinguishers on board, please remember that you should take it off and shake it up good about once a month or more often. This is because the dry chemical that most of these extinguishers are loaded with will, with time, pack down into a solid mass in the bottom of the container. This is due to the fact that it is a very fine dry powder and will settle due to the constant vibration of the vehicle. This is also a good thing to do with any fire extinguisher you might have around the kitchen or garage. As a volunteer fireman, I have seen many of these things not work when needed because the material has sat undisturbed for months or years without a second thought.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Oooo, thanks for the tip. I had never heard that before. anythoughts on which extinguisher works best for Automotive use. by that I mean the contents, A,B,C,D I think they are labeld by. and can any extinguisher be charged with any of those types.

Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 09:55 AM
thejunker

I have read that a good extinguisher for automotive is of type "ABC". Hope that helps [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

--pm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:26 AM
Can't Get Enough

A-B-C is a good all-around extinguisher for your use, if I'm not mistaken, D type is for metal fires.....not much burning magnesium in our world...lol. Some extinguishers can be recharged, unless you live in BFE there should be a fire protection company nearby that can do it for ya. A call to your local fire department might put you on the right track. I've found though that you can usually buy a new one for not much more money than recharging.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I get the "ABC" ones from Wal-Mart for <$20 each. They have one made by kiddie that is for automotive....means nothing besides they give you a bracket. But that bracket is handy. I have installed one between the door opening and seat bracket for easy access. I had one in my YJ installed where your's was(on the roll bar). One day, I thought I was going to burn my Jeep up trying to get to the single fire extingusher. I had my hard top on and my seat was in the way. Luckily it was just a small short and by the time I went to the other side and got to it form the passenger side(had to find my keys, unlock the door, crawl in and reach over), it had already burned the wire into. I learned my lesson. First thing I did to my CJ was put in fire extingushers....where you can reach them easily from the door opening. But if that is the only place you will put them, one had to get to is better than none.

Thanks for the tip on the "shake-up", never thought of that. It will be added to my routine maintence checklist. Would doing it with regularly scheduled oil changes be sufficient? My oil gets changed like clockwork every 3 months, usually about 500 miles.

Jason
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

There is a fire house on my way home that I was thinking about stopping by at lunch for a little Automotive Extinguishers 101. With the age of the one I have I might just go get a few smaller ones and locate them around the jeep. One OBF (on board Fire [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] ) really puts things in perspective for you when thinking about this!

Thanks
Brent
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:51 AM
Way Outta Control

One thing to remember about mounting a fire extinguisher is... an accident. If that extinguisher is not mounted to hold during an accident you're gonna have it launch at your head a closure speed. This is not a good thing.

Be darned sure tha extinguisher is going to stay put during an ememgency stop or an accident.

A Jeeper is a terrible thing to waste!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 01:21 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I have 2 in my Jeep , one in the back and one right down where the step down between floors is . I thought about this : What if I tip over or roll and there is a electrical fire inside the cab . How fast can you reach around and grab yours when the rubber side is up ? Answer: you cant . I think you should have one that is easy to grab if the thing rolls over . Make sense ? Yes / No ?? Just my thoughts

Jeff
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 03:58 PM

I've got a 2 year old daughter that rides in the back seat (with child saftey seat, of course), so I'm mounting my fire extinguisher under the driver's seat on my CJ--lots of room there on early CJs. That way she can't play with it, and if we do have an accident it's not a projectile in the cab, and if it is ruptured, the seat will keep the spray to a minimum and out of occupants faces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode