Red & Yellow Optima's in a Dual Battery Sys - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 08:38 AM
MarkF

Red & Yellow Optima\'s in a Dual Battery Sys

I have a brand new yellow top Optima in my CJ. I already have a dual battery system setup, so I want to get a second battery. Since the price differential is so great now between the Yellow and Red, I was wondering if it is safe to add a red top. I paid $165 for the Yellow and I can get a red for $99. Plus the red has a much better warranty.

I would use the red for starting and driving and the yellow would be for winching and backup starting.

Will this cause a problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:03 AM

Re: Red & Yellow Optima\'s in a Dual Battery Sys

Not a good idea.

You do not want to mix different batteries like that.

That deep-cycle runs at a higher voltage than the starting battery. The starting battery will draw down the deep-cycle and kill it in a dual battery config.

If you kept them isolated from eachother, you would have a chance. If you set it up for running on only 1 battery and then switching totally over to the other for charging and winching, it might be fine. You would have to be pretty careful to make sure you were not running both at the same time.

Red tops are great for starting and normal duty. There is a reason they use starting batteries in cars instead of deep cycle batteries. They are great for high-amp fast charging and have a nice long life in a car. They are terrible for deep cycling, though, and will die in like ~12 deep cycles.

Yellow tops are a real deep cycle battery. Just like any other deep cycle, they are great for long term use with winches and super high amp draw duty stuff. They can't handle the higher amp charging with the high-output alternators, though. Super high-juice alternators will kill a deep cycle in a hurry.

Most people will try to run a deep cycle battery with a high-output alternator for winching. This is a real good way to kill your batteries. A standard normal output alternator is what you want for a deep cycle.

Good luck with the setup.

Best regards

John
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 07:21 PM
Mud in my Veins

If you submit a warranty claim on a red-top from a vehicle with a winch, they'll laugh at you. Their fine print specifically forbids using a red in a vehicle with ANY non-stock electrical accessories. So considering the cost & warranty of a yellow compared to a Motorcraft Silver Series battery, you'll get MUCH better bang for the buck out of the Ford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 07:54 PM

From experience,
Get two yellow tops or two red tops and either setup will do what ever you want them to do.
People spend way too much time fretting over which batteries to get.
And as far as killing your batteries by running a deep cycle with a high output alternator is plain not true. Your alternator will only charge as needed. If you kill your batteries then something is wrong.
Yellow will last longer if you are regularly completely cycling your batteries, but who here will ever completely cycle dual batteries?
Not many?
Don’t spend too much time worrying about, either setup will work fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode