Caster angles for axle swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Caster angles for axle swap

Thanks for all the help on the axle tube welding questions!

Next is caster angle. I have seen a lot of people needing to change stuff on scout caster but nothing on Wagoneer axles like I am putting in. Do I need to worry about that so much on the wagoneer axle? I was going to set up a jig that would hold the waggy axle in place as if it were mounted in the vehicle (spring pads level) and then cut the perches off and weld my coil stuff directly on top of that so it will maintain the same angle... Sound about right?

Same in the rear.

Now I am going with the Rubicon Express 5.5" extreme duty SYE, CV shaft... bla bla... so I was wondering if I should point the rear pinion up before I weld the coil pads on? Or should I leave weld everything back to stock(as close as I can get) and let the adjustments on the kit take care of the anlges?

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 09:11 AM
Official Historian

Re: Caster angles for axle swap

The wagoneer's axles have 5-6* more caster than the scouts. That's why no one has to rotate the knuckles on them.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Will's right, there's enough caster built into them that you don't need to mess with it. I do have to add though that caster is not best adjusted with spring pads level. That is not how the spring pads sit in most cases when installed in the vehicle. You're better off setting caster with the axle sitting under the vehicle with weight on it. You don't need any of the outer installed either. Just put the axle on jackstands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:40 AM
Pooh-Bah

Snowtow is right about doing it on the rig. When I did my SOA the first time I mounted the perches level with the caster @ 6*, got the axle in the Jeep and because of the arch of the springs and where the center pins were I had about 12* castor. I ended up cutting the perches off, putting the axle in the Jeep with weight on it, and re-did it, now it is dead on 6* castor when on the tires.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

So how am I going to make sure that I have the right angle when I go to weld on my coil pads? Should I put the caster at 6 degrees and weld the pads on straight( parallel to the ground)?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 11:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well you can not say that they do not need to be adjusted!!!! just because you do not on one rig does not mean that you do not on another. lift hight, spring angle, and pinion angle all play into the caster. yes on some jeeps you do not. i personally know a guy who runs a toyota with waggy springs and it did need to be adjusted. with the way the front was mounted in the truck he was actually at a negative pinion angle which as we know is not good. also there is a guy here right now who is has a cherokee dana44 (same as waggy only this one is a wide track) in the front of his samurai and it needs to have the knuckles rotated so that the caster is adjusted. like i said just because it worked in one rig does not mean that it will in another.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2002, 01:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you put the caster at 6 degrees and the spring pads level it's exactly the same as you proposed with your first post. What type of links are you running with these coils? Most four links have some adjustability built into them to adjust caster once the axle is in the vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode