i need some pro advice ........i am lost - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 02:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i need some pro advice ........i am lost

i have a 90yj 258 w/weber. 4" skyjacker lift on 33's and a one inch shackle lift. i am in the process of adding a borla header. broomsticking my cat and finnishing with a pacesetter cat-back. and man i have created some problems.
i am a marine outboard mechanic and some of the auto stuff stumps me. there is a world of difference between boats and jeeps.

1) front axle vacum lines where discarded when i put in the weber and trashed the stock system. i am now stuck at 2wd.
is the cable system the best way to go to get 4wd back. and is it easy to install?

2)the directions that came with the weber were not to informative and i need more detailed scematics. were do i look.

3)my intake mainfold and exhaust manifold are leaking. i used marine gasket sealant and a "paper" gasket to fix it the first time. that lasted for about ten miles. what will work?

4)what's the deal with the slip yoke eliminator? is there any cheaper way to fix a leaking t-case?

5)what temp is best for the amc258?....195?...210?

the gremlins have built a colony in my jeep. i would appreciate any advise.
i can help if anybody has outboard motor problems.
10hp-300hp omc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 04:11 AM
Veteran

Re: i need some pro advice ........i am lost

1) I never trusted that vacuum thing, go cable (4wd.com, quadratec.com, etc)

2) Dont know jack about webers (sorry)

3) Get a good gasket, and a tube of the permatex copper stuff

4) SYE is good, if you cant afford it now, try a new rear seal

5) A bit of discussion on this lately, ill leave it to the masters

not much, but hope it helps

-web
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 04:40 AM

you can get a complete new "front axle disconnect vaccuum harness" from the dealer for pretty cheap, like $25 or something, they always have worked fine for me..........once you understand the routing it's pretty simple,
i would use a permatex gasket myself, no sealant of any kind (but be sure to clean all the mating surfaces very good, take a little extra time doing a good job)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 08:25 AM

What schematics for the carb are you looking for?
The whole breakdown, or just vacuum or fuel?
What webber carb do you have? There are about 100 different models of webber.

Cables for the front axle work pretty well, you can also get a late model TJ axle-shaft and make it work. They don't have disconnects. It gets rid of the whole disconnect thing.

For the gaskets... Sounds like you will have to pull the manifolds and re-seal them. Use new real automotive gaskets and torque said manifolds down to spec with the correct grade bolts.

Did you stone the mating surfaces of the manifolds and block before reassembling it? Its gotta be super flat. Sand paper on a piece of glass with lotsa oil works well, and a whetstone will work in a pinch. Burrs, dings, and screwdriver marks will wreak havoc on good seals.

Best regards

John
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 09:41 AM

first of all...the marine grade rtv....wont work on engine parts, it has no heat resistive qualities. you burned thru it real quick.

the vacuum system for the front axle works good, ive never had mine fail on the trail, i have had it fail from age and something rubbing a hole in it, but not on a trail failure. do a search for 'vacuum' and im sure you'll find many posts and some diagrams.

the weber installation is pretty straight forward im sure someone has a copy of the destructions online. golf tees make fantf*ckingtastic vacuum plugs....just cut to length. i knew there was a reason why i should not hate golf as much. take a look at this pic, it just may do the trick for guys that hafta have the factory smog hookups and still want the weber performance
http://www.carbs.net/images/weber/K551-Si.jpg

sye kits, great idea, many different solutions for a common problem. tom woods has about 2 or 3 different kits available in a package deal, kits and new a driveshaft.

we just had a rather lengthy discussion of over/under cooling the last week, stick with a 195 thermostadt, im running a 180 in mine, and it still runs about 190ish

right now, im searching for a link that a guy wrote up about his weber conversion, and the vacuum stuff....im still lookin, so there is more to follow

to be continued.....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:27 AM

here's a link to a stock vacuum diagram for the 258. still searching for the weber tip i found about 2 years ago.

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dyna...m%2FHow_Tos%2F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode