Fun differential problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Fun differential problems

I posted a few days ago about my friend's TJ that had some diff problems. Well we finally got the damn thing apart!! Those d35's are crap!! There's a pin that holds the spider gears in. And there's a bolt that holds that pin in. Well, the bolt sheared off and the pin spun around creating all hell with the spider gears and created lots of metal shavings We had to BFH it out. But we could only get it so far out. Once it got out as far as it would, we just cut it off with grinder and then pounded the rest out. We tried quite a few interesting methods for extracting that damn pin!! One involved a bolt, a length of chain and a Ford F250[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] We thought we had some logic there, but o well[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] LOL. What an experience!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 04:17 AM

Re: Fun differential problems

"One involved a bolt, a length of chain and a Ford F250"

look....look again.....

HAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAAAA!!!!!!!

Sorry, the problems you are describing are by no means fun, but that sounds like something I would do! When I was helping my nephew pull the engine in his '68 Olds Tornado (455 Big Block) it was a fairly cold morning--the ground was froze. By the time we figured out how to get that engine disconected from that weird-a$$ tranverse mount TH350, the ground had thawed and the cherry picker had sunk into the ground....no problem I just hooked a chain on the cherry picker and gently pulled the engine hoist to solid ground with my Ford pickup....with the 455 still on it!

Again, sorry you guys had such problems, but I think I'd like to work on a rig with you sometime....seems we have some similar methods of dealing with recalcitrant (sp?) equipment!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 07:02 AM
Can't Get Enough

So James did you get it all back together? Is spider gears still in decent shape or is your buddy going to have to replace them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If he has to replace them...talk him into swaping in that 8.8

Find one with the same gears, take out teh D35 and take both axles to someone who can cut off the old brackets and weld them on the new axle in the correct position. Then reinstall. May cost him a little more, but he will not have to worry about the rear again.

Oh yea, and find out the spicer part # for the adapter that will allow you to hook back up the driveshaft...I have heard that it is cheaper from NAPA, than ordering it online.

Jason
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 11:53 AM

i have a 98 TJ D35 for sale with 3.08 gears, no LS, and 68,000 miles. it is drum to drum. we replaced it in a friend TJ to try to get rid of a "clunk"...but the axle wasn't the problem. send me an email today if possible.

matt
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 12:48 PM

the tj and zj clunk come from the fact that the axles arent assembled correctly. before you unload the axle, check the gear pattern. i had a friend that was a dealer mechanic at marietta jeep in marietta ga that figured out what the problem was....they made him the drivetrain guy. he sent off a letter to engineering and the tech guys about the why and the fix, i dunno what became of it, he was averaging 5 rebuilds a week for clunks and gear whine. i lost contact with him after i moved in 99. maybe i should start doin a search for him, catch up with him and see what he's doin now.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 01:24 PM

Rock Monkey,
i agree with you. i have some friends who work for Mistubishi and Jeep truck. they told me the same thing and that this is just one of the reasons why chrysler is ditching Dana as their axle supplier and going solely with American axle. but, they are keeping the D44's in the Rubicon because of all the hype..

my axle does not clunk. we found out that it was loose bolts in the rear control arms...now, i'm just trying to help my buddy re-coop some of the $$$ he spent on this axle that wasn't the problem.

matt
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 02:29 PM

dana doesnt assemble the axles, toledo does, hence the designation dana 35C, the c is for custom. dana just produces the tubes and housings. toledo does the assembly. i think they need to better educate their axle ppl a little more. the only time ive had a problem with my 87's axles was when i put my detroit in a little too tight when i shimmed it. tore the teeth off the clutches when it got hot and wedged itself in the case. the other problem is the aluminum housings. they dont have the strength to hold the tolerances that the steel housings do. if im not mistaken, but i could be, i think there is a slight difference in the assembly of the diffs between the steel and aluminum housings.

for all i know, i could be wrong altogether about the housing material. the housings could still be steel, and the tubes or atleast the outer flanges are aluminum. im not at all 100% certain now. damn production breaks. they confuse me at times.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 02:40 PM
Can't Get Enough

I always thought that the c meant c-clip?????
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 02:59 PM

nope...thats what i thought too.

when you order a detroit locker for the d35, you basically order a c-clip locker. it doesnt matter if it is or isnt a c-clip axle, its the same locker with all the same parts. the only differences are the way the shaft is held in the tubes and associated hardware relating to the shaft. everything else is the same. bearings, carriers and r&p's. i do know there is a thicker, stock steel diff cover with a screw plug. i have the part number in my box o' jeep receipts at home. i can dig it up for ya if ya want. its not that much thicker, but its thick enuff to keep the cover from cracking at the radius between the bubble and flange. here's something for you guys to be aware of, especially you amc20 guys. if your diff cover flange extends beyond the housing's flange, trim it. it will catch on something and pull away and dribble all your diff fluid out on the trail. not good. had a friend have that experience that. didnt do the bearings for his arb any good. here's the article on off-road's site:

www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/axle/d35c.html

i think the article is in error when it states a difference in carrier. i bought my detroit in 98 i think, and tractech said it didnt matter if i had c-clips or not. d35c is d35c. i was concerned until i called because i got a 'c-locker'. its the right one for jeeps and it looks exactly like the one shown in the ad for the superior kit. the destructions have a 'with clips and without c-clips' sections. as far as im concerned, this locker is plenty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode